Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Headlamp suggestions

Headlamp suggestions 1 month 20 hours ago #1

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
I'm looking for a nice headlamp something under $100. I'm not looking for the best budget light, I'm looking for something nice. I have three headlamps now and they are all under $30 and while they are useable, I want to step up.

I've tried to do some research and I continue to come across brand names like Fenix, Black Diamond, Petzl, Princeton Tec and even seen some nice 5.11 lights.

I'm a flashlight junkie and own several Surefire handhelds. I was out last night with a $30 light and became frustrated with the switch on my current unit when changing between modes.

Thanks for some ideas.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Headlamp suggestions 1 month 2 hours ago #2

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I have a basic Coast HL5 headlamp. Very bright, one button. It's on, it's off. I don't want too many choices to click through when I just want some light to see by. They have the HL4 which is basically the same thing but is dual color. It has a button to turn on red LED's for night vision.

They have some much more serious lamps but I didn't need anything that pricy and the HL5 is simple.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clay

Headlamp suggestions 3 weeks 20 hours ago #3

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
I hear you saying you want something a step up, but there are many great "budget" lights that can work great. I really suggest one with a red light option to help with night vision. Any of the high end light brands are great.

Headlamp suggestions 2 weeks 4 days ago #4

• Crow Horse
  • 250+ Posts!
We have several Fenix headlamps. I forget which model # they are, but they have a separate battery compartment. They have several light intensities as well as a red light. We use them daily to go into the barn in the early and late hours. Never a problem with them and they have great battery life. I think these are worthy of consideration.....
All Good Medicine,
Crow

Creator, everything we do leaves a track. May our tracks be ones we would want you to see and others to follow......

Headlamp suggestions 2 weeks 1 day ago #5

• North Ft. Myers
  • sailor144
  • 10+ Posts!
I've found using a headlamp, while good, reflects off the paddle blades enough to affect vision. I found an Energizer headlamp in Home Depot for $20, that has a high level of lumens, as well as a housing that lends itself to mounting on a ram extension, so I can position it forward on the boat. It was a game changer for me as far as vision was concerned.
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by sailor144.

Headlamp suggestions 2 weeks 21 hours ago #6

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Thanks everyone for your contributions. I'm currently running one of the Coast FL70 headlamps. It has 435 lumens and does everything that I wanted except, I found the switch to be a pita. I would have to push it three, four, five times to get it to change settings. You had to find the spot on the spot on the switch itself to make it change. It had to go.

Fenix has been on my short list for a while now, I get a discount through one of my buying groups so that started the initial interest. Bluntly when I purchased I bought straight from Fenix with Free shipping and a 20% off was a better delivered price vs paying for shipping and other fees from other sites.

I ended up buying a HL60R and a couple of rechargeable 18650, 3500 mAh batteries. Under a $100 for all and lets SEE what happens.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Last Edit: 2 weeks 21 hours ago by Clay.

Headlamp suggestions 1 week 2 days ago #7

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Wanted to do a quick recap on the Fenix HL60R (rechargeable). I've only used it twice since it arrived but it is crazy nice. You can choose 1 lumen, 5 L, 50 L, 150 L, 400 L or 950 Lumens. The one lumen is in the form of dual red LEDs; perfect to maintain your night vision. The 950 setting lights up the world.

Quality is grand and the rechargeable 18650 batteries will save money in the long run. It came with a 2600 mAh battery but I bought a pair of 3500 mAh batteries just in case I was out in the boonies with no source for recharging. IP8X waterproof rating and life is good.

Headlamp suggestions 1 week 20 hours ago #8

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalReviewer
Clay wrote:
Wanted to do a quick recap on the Fenix HL60R (rechargeable). I've only used it twice since it arrived but it is crazy nice. You can choose 1 lumen, 5 L, 50 L, 150 L, 400 L or 950 Lumens. The one lumen is in the form of dual red LEDs; perfect to maintain your night vision. The 950 setting lights up the world.

Quality is grand and the rechargeable 18650 batteries will save money in the long run. It came with a 2600 mAh battery but I bought a pair of 3500 mAh batteries just in case I was out in the boonies with no source for recharging. IP8X waterproof rating and life is good.

Couldn't you just recharge it with one of those small portable phone battery chargers? I love those things! Can charge my phone, GoPro, etc all while sleeping in my tent overnight. I'm thinking about one of those lights since it would be so easy to charge.

Headlamp suggestions 6 days 9 hours ago #9

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Sure, I have a portable power battery that I use for my GoPro as well. That would charge it up just fine.

Truth is that I have some other lights that use the 18650 and the price was right on these 3500 mAh batteries so I bought a couple of extra ones. I have seen the light itself with just one 2600 mAh battery for as low as $66.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?