Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: A first time kayaker

A first time kayaker 1 month 3 days ago #1

Hello,
Yes, I'm a newby. I went to a birthday party at a lake and everyone there had brought their kayaks. I am interested in buying one. I want a sit IN kayak, but I'm needing one with a capacity over 300 pounds, and I need a wide cockpit area, like 22 + or more. I'm wanting to keep the cost under $500.00. I'm really needing some recommendations. Thank you all so much.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

A first time kayaker 1 month 20 hours ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
First off - welcome to the board. Secondly, I see that you have been thinking about Kayaks and thinking about what your requirements are for a boat. So far so good.

Since you are a self proclaimed "First Time Kayaker", tell us why you think that you want a Sit-in vs a sit on top boat? This forum also specializes in Fishing type boats, are you planning on fishing out of your kayak or just having fun with your friends?

Here is a short YouT video about sit in vs sit on top kayaks for a fishing application:

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

A first time kayaker 1 month 2 hours ago #3

• Guntersville, Al
  • Yakcraz
  • 50+ Posts!
I would recommend a sit on top no matter what you are going to be doing. I've had both. Trust me you don't want to have to deal with flipping over a sit inside in water that is too deep to touch bottom even on a good day. The boat will fill up. It's a pain to flip back over when full. It's really hard to do a deep water re entry. It's hard to swim back to shore dragging a boat full of water. And, not every situation is perfect, there's not always a place to get to shore that's adequate enough to deal with a flooded yak. Trust me if you've never had one get a sit on top. You will not regret the decision. And, I don't care what anyone says about sit insides, they may protect you from the wind a little bit, but YOU'RE GOING TO GET WET!!! With a sit on top, you can pretty much dress for any condition and be fine. If it's nice & warm out, shorts & a shirt. If it's cold, windy, & wet just wear rain gear with appropriate layered clothes underneath. It's a year round sport if you want it to be. I really can't think of any advantage that a sit inside would have over a sit on top that can't be easily overcome with appropriate clothing & scupper plugs. The only exception would be white water rapids & sit insides especially designed for that which are a completely different animal.

That being said, it's going to be hard to find a lot with that weight capacity in that price range. For a beginer setup with that price & weight capacity though I would suggest checking out the big box stores like Acadeny Sport or Dicks Sporting Goods. Maybe get something like this.

www.academy.com/shop/pdp/heritage-angler-10-10-ft-sit-on-top-angler-kayak#repChildCatid=5098536

Yes it's a sit on top, but it has a low seat, and a lot of features for it's price really. It would be a good beginner yak especially if you plan on fishing out of it.

A first time kayaker 1 month 33 minutes ago #4

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
If you want to make your boat fish in all seasons, do a search under the "Kayaking rule of 120". There was a recent discussion on dry suits here: www.yakangler.com/forum/25-answer-bag/35489-dry-suit

Dress to swim, rig to flip is a good mantra for us kayakers.

On reasonably priced boat with good carrying capacity and decent weight ratings boat of these boats I find interesting:

I've seen this one just over $600:

And this one under $550:

On specific boats here is another nice little video from Chad:

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?