Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Bending Branches plus ferrule system

Bending Branches plus ferrule system 4 months 1 week ago #1

• sab7896
  • -10 Posts!
I'm new to kayaking and kayak fishing. I'm trying to decide on a paddle. I don't want to cheap out and have to buy something new down the road and end up spending more in the long run. I don't know exactly what length will suit me best so I'm leaning towards an adjustable paddle. Also, I would think an adjustable paddle would be beneficial for high/low seating as well as accommodating different boat widths if I switch boats down the road. I do not like the thought of any of the adjustable paddles that have some sort of collar on the shaft. Bending Branches seems to have the only unobtrusive ferrule system I can find but since it doesn't have a true locking mechanism I wonder if I would have any problems with it coming loose. Does anyone have experience with this system? Have you had any issues with it coming loose or not feeling solid? If I don't go with the adjustable system I might opt for the Werner Shuna instead.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bending Branches plus ferrule system 4 months 1 week ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
I had a similar question recently that you might like to read the responses to: www.yakangler.com/forum/25-answer-bag/35499-bending-branches-pro-angler-paddle-question

I edited this post after finding this YT video today. I have to think on this subject more at this point. Let us know what you come up with for a decision.

I did check out this link by Werner to help choose the appropriate length: wernerpaddles.com/fit-guide/
And this link by Bending Branches on Length selection: bendingbranches.com/kayak-paddle-sizing-guide
Note: when reading the BB link, don't jump to any conclusions right away. It's not just about your height, but also includes boat width and boat seat height. You also need to consider paddle stroke or technique, whether you prefer a high angle paddle stroke or a lower angle paddle stroke.

Point is this: If you have a fishing kayak that is wide, with a higher seat and use the most common fishing kayak paddle stroke which is the lower angle stroke - you need a damn long paddle to make it all come together regardless if you are tall or short.

Good luck on finding the right paddle for you.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by Clay.

Bending Branches plus ferrule system 4 months 1 week ago #3

• sab7896
  • -10 Posts!
Thanks for the reply Clay. I stumbled upon that video in my research and it was helpful. However, I haven't heard many other reviews from guys that have put a lot of miles on the paddle. I still question how it will hold up over time and a ferrule that can be adjusted by twisting it seems like a ferrule that can accidentally be adjusted/separated in an extreme/emergency situation. Also, I'm beginning to believe that an adjustable paddle may not be necessary and a single length may suite my needs. If I raise the seat I'll probably just paddle at a higher angle and be able to get away with the same length paddle I was using with the seat in the low position and not skip a beat.

That being said, I'm leaning towards the Shuna. It's slightly lighter, a little less expensive than the Angler Pro, has (in my mind) a better ferrule, has good reviews and is offered in more blade color options.

Bending Branches plus ferrule system 4 months 1 week ago #4

• sab7896
  • -10 Posts!
As for length, I'm thinking that at 6'0" and a 31" wide kayak that a 240cm paddle will be a good all-around length for me. I think the sizing charts and using a 220cm paddle in a 28" wide kayak with a lower seat give me confidence that 240cm is right for me. I tend to do a lot of research before making a purchase but as I mentioned before, I'm inexperienced and open to any suggestions on ferrules, brands, and lengths.

Bending Branches plus ferrule system 4 months 1 week ago #5

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
The BB web site says 6', 29 to 33 wide boat = 250 for a paddle. If you have a high seat and a low paddle angle step up to the next size. Bluntly, thinking a 260 for you. Since you have been kayak fishing for a while and are determined to use a high angle paddle stroke and you seat is lower for a fishing kayak, maybe a 250.

Get some more opinions of course, I don't pretend to be the last word on paddle selection. I did check the Werner site and the BB site and have spoken to both Werner and BB reps. I'm shorter than you and for me it's between a 250 and 260 for a fixed length.

Call both companies and talk to them. Pretty good resources.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Bending Branches plus ferrule system 4 months 1 week ago #6

• AndrewStern10
  • -10 Posts!
Hey sab7896,

I work for Bending Branches and can help answer any questions you have on the Angler Pro. The Plus ferrule is not the perfect ferrule system in all conditions, but it does hold together a majority of the time. We don't hear many complaints about the ferrule disengaging unless the water conditions are very rough.

You may want to consider the snap-button version of the Angler. This version has a completely snug ferrule, weighs the same as the Werner Shuna, has a tape measure on the shaft for measuring your catch, is less expensive than our Plus version, and comes in blade patterns designed by our team. Kayak anglers within the Yakangler community have voted this paddle the best in fishing for five years in a row. Werner makes really great paddles and I have nothing bad to say about them, but I think you'll find our paddles to be trusted allies on the water too.

If you have any questions regarding our paddles, please call our customer service team: 715-755-3405.

Thanks,
Andrew
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clay

Bending Branches plus ferrule system 4 months 1 week ago #7

• sab7896
  • -10 Posts!
Thanks for chiming in Andrew. I think it's great that a vendor believes in their product enough to pay attention to forums like this and offer support/advice to the end user. Your company makes a great product which is evidenced by the large number of folks out there using your paddles. I was afraid that my questioning of the ferrule system might come across as a negative but I stress that I have never used it and it could be a great system for all I know. I might give you a call after the holiday. Thanks for the offer.

Clay, thanks for the input. The thing that what makes me leery of a 250cm paddle is I picture myself paddling to a fishing spot with the seat in the low position and raising the seat once I'm there. I live near a large lake and will most likely paddle for awhile, stop and fish, paddle for awhile, stop and fish, etc. When I'm paddling with the seat in the high position I picture it as being just casually coasting around coves and docks whereas when I'm in the low position I might be paddling for as much as an hour at a time. The Werner site offers suggested paddle lengths for both low and high seat positions which is what I used to come up with 240cm. Given this and your experience, would you still recommend a 250cm?

Thanks for the help and I'm sorry for the simple questions that could be answered by just getting out on the water and figuring out what I like best. However, the job doesn't allow for much time on the water so I like to lean on those more experienced than myself.

Re:Bending Branches plus ferrule system 4 months 1 day ago #8

• Russellville, arkansas
  • aeds151
  • 250+ Posts!
I use 260cm. Sit on top 36” wide,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?