Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Scupper cart unassisted loading

Scupper cart unassisted loading 1 year 6 months ago #1

• Tuscarawas, Ohio
  • Smallmouth
  • 10+ Posts!
When I arrive at a put-in point where I see that I need to use my cart to get my boat and gear to the water, it's a fairly simple task to get the cart through the scuppers on my kayak and then load the gear and tackle into the boat. From there I can roll it all to the water, lift up, and let the cart drop out onto the ground.....or even into the water.

My question is about getting that cart back under the kayak at the end of an outing.
If you have a partner with you this is not a problem. One man steadies the cart while the other lifts and maneuvers the boat onto it.
If you are solo this can be an exercise in frustration..... and would probably be hilarious to an onlooker.

I think what I'm asking is:
Has someone already come up with some type of "kickstand" that will hold the cart in place with the posts aiming up at an angle that will allow the boat's scuppers to be lifted over and onto the cart without having to offload all the gear/weight and then reload the gear once the boat is mounted on the cart?
My worst day on water still beats my best day at work.....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Scupper cart unassisted loading 1 year 6 months ago #2

• Racerx
  • 50+ Posts!
Well, the first thing I thought of as I read this was to try installing the cart into the holes while the kayak is still floating in the water? The water would give the needed lift, run the cart up into the scupper, and roll it out of the water. Basically the opposite of what you did to get there. Bear in mind, I don't USE a scupper cart, I'm just postulating.

Scupper cart unassisted loading 1 year 6 months ago #3

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I always turn mine on its side.

Scupper cart unassisted loading 1 year 6 months ago #4

• Tuscarawas, Ohio
  • Smallmouth
  • 10+ Posts!
Thanks guys, but those won't help.

My tires float. The posts that need to go into the scuppers don't. Forcing the tires under the kayak would probably be impossible..... but maybe hilarious.

Turning the kayak on it's side absolutely works when the kayak is empty. That's how I do it after I take it off the top of the vehicle, before I load all my fishing gear into it.
My question is about when I take the still-loaded kayak out of the water and am ready to roll it back to the vehicle. At this point the boat is pretty heavily loaded..... tackle, rods and reels, cooler, battery, fish finder, etc. Without a partner it is a struggle to both lift one end of the kayak AND maneuver the cart under it with the posts pointing up at the correct angle. I've done it but it ain't easy.

I'll try to attach a picture of the kayak on the cart so you can have a visual of what I mean.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Smallmouth. Reason: Trying to attach picture

Scupper cart unassisted loading 1 year 6 months ago #5

• Tuscarawas, Ohio
  • Smallmouth
  • 10+ Posts!
I don't know why I am unable to attach a picture.
I add an attachment below with the "add file" button, everything seems in order, yet when I press "submit" the attachment is not sent with the post.

I'll try once more.....

Scupper cart unassisted loading 1 year 6 months ago #6

• SC
  • areeldrag
  • 10+ Posts!
You might can make a kickstand out of pvc but still probably be a pain to lign up the scrupper holes & cart post.
Might be easier to get a strap style kayak cart.

Scupper cart unassisted loading 7 months 2 weeks ago #7

• San Diego, CA
  • KrakenMeUp
  • 10+ Posts!
I saw this in a different post on this forum. Very clever way of solving your issue.

Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by KrakenMeUp.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?