Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Float Coats

Float Coats 5 months 1 week ago #1

• Racerx
  • 50+ Posts!
I'll be the first to admit when I don't know what something is or what works best. That said, I was virtual window-shopping the other night for dry tops and splash tops, trying to get a feel for what product(s) I should go with in the future, as I'm not quite fully set up for cold water kayaking. In my searches, I stumbled across the term "Float Coat". I had never heard of such a thing, so I checked it out, and it seemed promising.
So, let me ask those that are in the know, on this: Is a float coat a good alternative to wearing a dry top and PFD. Apparently, these are their own PFD (a type III, based on what I read), and are USCG approved (at least the ones I viewed.)

Opinions are appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Float Coats 5 months 1 week ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Not my area of expertise, but I'm posting to learn from more experienced people. I recently saw an Ice Armour float jacket that peaked my interest. It was designed for ice fisherman. Not sure how well it would work for paddlers, but it made me think.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Float Coats 5 months 1 week ago #3

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
I've worn them for years either fishing out of a boat in spring/fall, or ice fishing. Love them! I have a big Mustang Survival Suit, but it limits mobility and I wear it only in the most adverse conditions, mostly ice fishing. I have a Stearns float coat, which is parka length. That one is good for ice fishing, and nice sitting in the boat. I wear my Mustang float coat in the kayak, because it is shorter. Arms are still plenty mobile for paddling, and mine is fleece lined making it as comfortable as any other coat. They all stop the wind...right now.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?