Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Side imaging or Bigger screen

Side imaging or Bigger screen 3 weeks 2 days ago #1

• Funky tub
  • -10 Posts!
I am looking at getting a Depth finder for xmas for my Old Town PDL. Wanting to know how well side imaging works on a kayaks and if you have it do you actually use it. Because the few times I have taken my kayak out I find myself pointed at the shore drifting with the wind and side imaging wouldn't do me much good fishing that way. I was looking at getting a Humminbird because the scupper is designed around hummingbird transducers but can't decide between side imaging or getting a bigger screen 5in or 7in. I only plan to fish on lakes and rivers or creeks. Only reason i want the bigger screen is because i would like to mount it closer to the front of the kayak and a bigger screen would be easier to see. If you had around $450-$500 witch would you choose and why.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Side imaging or Bigger screen 3 weeks 10 hours ago #2

• North Carolina
  • Fly2bTied
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2015 YakAngler Supporter
You can get a Humminbird Helix 5 with SI and GPS for just over $400.00. I haven't used SI on a kayak but I put a Helix 10 on my skiff and it was a real eye opening experience. I never realized how much detail and structure I have been missing. The clarity is extremely good, I could never go back to a fishfinder without SI..
2016 NuCanoe Pursuit

Side imaging or Bigger screen 2 weeks 6 days ago #3

• perchjerker
  • 50+ Posts!
John, I agree with your choice of Hummingbird. The base map that comes on their units Helix5 up is superior to anything Lowrance offers. A Hummingbird Helix 5 with SI is around $499. I priced one today. Unless you are experienced with SI is can be confusing to read. I suggest you watch some videos on youtube to see what I mean. I have my sights set on a Helix5 with DI, GPS, Chirp and plotting. They run around $349. Di is easier to read and very impressive. Good Luck and Stay Safe!
2016 Native Slayer Propel 13 in Lizard Lick color.

Side imaging or Bigger screen 2 weeks 6 days ago #4

• Belle River, Ontario, Canada
  • Mtmouse
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I would look at the new Lowrance Hook2 series that's just released...great price with a lot of features available.

Side imaging or Bigger screen 2 weeks 4 days ago #5

• perchjerker
  • 50+ Posts!
Mmouse, I'd have to argue against any hook2 model. To get DI, Si, chirp or GPS, you have to buy at least a Hook2-7. No doubt you'd be talking $700 or more. The fellas I know that either have owned or do own both will tell you a Hummingbird mapping is far superior to anything on that Lowrance has on the market. Hook2's main point is a wider cone, why would you need that in a yak? I've talked to too many that own both or have owned both to consider a Lowrance. To me mapping and the ability to see where you really are is important. The quality of the built-in mapping in a Hummingbird has left Lowrance far behind. That probably had something to do with the introduction of these units. I've fished with a friend that had both 10's on his console. when both are put on the map, it's amazing how much more accurate the Hummingbird is. Oh, by the way I have an Elite-4 on my Slayer and have always run Lowrances on my Bassboats.

Last Edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by perchjerker.

Side imaging or Bigger screen 2 weeks 3 days ago #6

• Belle River, Ontario, Canada
  • Mtmouse
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
perchjerker wrote:
Mmouse, They fellas I know that either have owned or do own both will tell you a Hummingbird mapping is far superior to anything on that Lowrance has on the market.

Which maps are you referring to? Have you witnessed this yourself? Humminbird and Lowrance are both compatible with Navionics charts and there is no difference on either unit.

The following user(s) said Thank You: perchjerker

Side imaging or Bigger screen 2 weeks 3 days ago #7

• perchjerker
  • 50+ Posts!
Yes, I've witnessed both. The mapping quality of the hummingbird is far superior. The preloaded maps are better too. I saw maps on both a couple of weeks ago.

Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?