Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Need Hook with Big Eye

Need Hook with Big Eye 3 weeks 3 days ago #1

• PianoAl
  • 10+ Posts!
I like to have a single hook (not treble) on lures such as spoons. I get slightly fewer hookups, but fewer snags and fewer injured/killed fish.

I can clip off two of the hooks, but I'd rather replace the treble with a single. The problem is that the eyes of most single hooks are too small for the split ring at the end of the lure. Treble hooks have huge eyes:

Treble.jpg

I've found fly-tying hooks with big eyes, but those are too small. I want a size #6 or larger.

Any ideas?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need Hook with Big Eye 3 weeks 3 days ago #2

• perchjerker
  • 50+ Posts!
I can give you four ideas. First O'Shaughnessy hooks are made for trotlines and have big eyes for nylon twine to pass thru. Second, Look for hooks intended for Spinnerbait trailer hooks. They have large eyes to enable them to go over the spinnerbait hook. Three, look at Owner hooks that have a screwloc. They already have the screwloc, but it can be removed. Fourth, get smaller split rings. Several of the single hook salt topwater baits I have seen use two split rings per hook. The one in the hook is small. Hope this helps.
2016 Native Slayer Propel 13 in Lizard Lick color.

The following user(s) said Thank You: PianoAl

Need Hook with Big Eye 3 weeks 1 day ago #3

• cmonkey
  • -10 Posts!
Might try some Siwash hooks too. The ones I've purchased (Gamakatsu) came with the eye open, and then one gives a small crimp to close the eye. Perfect for salmon spoons, and yes, I too prefer the single hooks. Better action on the lure, and more secure hookups.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PianoAl

Need Hook with Big Eye 3 weeks 8 hours ago #4

• Guntersville, Al
  • Yakcraz
  • 50+ Posts!
Owner, VMC, Gamakatsu, inline single hooks work great with split rings on most hard lures. Rapala is putting them standard on some of their saltwater lures now. They should work fine on spoons too.

www.basspro.com/shop/en/vmc-inline-single-4x-hook?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?