Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Did I make a huge mistake?

Did I make a huge mistake? 2 years 2 months ago #1

• DJSponge
  • -10 Posts!
So, my birthday is on the horizon, and my wife told me to pick out a kayak. I have been thinking of combining fishing and kayaking for awhile, and to be honest, I was looking hard at the folding kayaks from ORU KAYAK.

The price, plus the single-minded nature of them turned me away. I couldn't stomach nearly $2k for a piece of foldable plastic.

So...I looked at packrafts...skiffs....float tubes...SUPs....

We actually own a SUP, but it's purely recreational.

I stumbled on the Old Town Angler boats and went, "yes!" Price was reasonable, had what I thought were reasonable fishing provisions, and Cabela's was having a Labor Day sale. So, I threw my money down on the 106 Angler in urban camo.

Now...I'm doing a bit of research and it looks like I might of made a big mistake. I want to paddle the local lakes and fish for trout and maybe some pike and bass. They make a 12'6" model, but it was too late to change the order by the time I realized it.

Seems like most of you prefer SOTs as apposed to Sit-In yaks. I see the benefits.

Flip side, I can use the boat for recreational paddling if I want, and that's what I do most of the time. However, I'm catching the "bug" and looking at all the shiny gear and contraptions to land a heap of fish with.

Talk me off the ledge, please...!

Thanks,
Sponge
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Did I make a huge mistake? 2 years 2 months ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Don't sweat the details. Go have fun in your new boat. Someone once told me in relation to a firearms purchase. It's not your last gun, it's just your next gun. Think of a kayak the same way: It's not your last kayak, it just your next kayak.

I've been shopping for my next kayak almost from the day I picked up my last kayak. We all wonder if we made the right decision. Go have fun with what you have and then from that experience you will know better the next time around on what feature set the YOU want for your application and water that you paddle.

Edited to add: Welcome to the Board.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Clay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Demonical

Did I make a huge mistake? 2 years 2 months ago #3

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Thats not a bad decision....

I left my house in Ft. Lauderdale which is secure has impact windows, due to wifes peer pressure and threats, running from Hurricane Irma, to my Sons house in Tampa which is now in the direct path of the storm, new home untested with no shutters 1 block from the Bay in a now mandatory evacuation zone.. Thats a bad decision.

Did I make a huge mistake? 2 years 2 months ago #4

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
krash wrote:
Thats not a bad decision....

I left my house in Ft. Lauderdale which is secure has impact windows, due to wifes peer pressure and threats, running from Hurricane Irma, to my Sons house in Tampa which is now in the direct path of the storm, new home untested with no shutters 1 block from the Bay in a now mandatory evacuation zone.. Thats a bad decision.

Damn, that's a tough spot to be in. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you well. Can you turn around? I just heard that the East side of Florida might only be a category 1 when it hits that side of the state. The west side doesn't look so fortunate.

Be Safe.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Did I make a huge mistake? 2 years 2 months ago #5

• DJSponge
  • -10 Posts!
Krash,

This year has been horrible for natural disasters. My thoughts are with you, hope you stay safe down there!

Did I make a huge mistake? 2 years 2 months ago #6

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
I think you'll be happier with the Old Town than any foldable or inflatable kayak.

Personally, I like and use sit-in kayaks. I feel more secure with a lower center of gravity and in the rivers and streams hereabouts I like the light weight and ease of paddling. But then I came from a touring kayak background. I like a good kayak I can fish from.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Did I make a huge mistake? 2 years 2 months ago #7

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I don't know where you are, but for lake fishing and pond hopping as well as rivers, that kayak will be a ton of fun! No huge mistake there.

now evacuating to a mandatory evac area??? yeah, I hope that wasn't too huge a mistake. Hopes and prayers to you krash.

Did I make a huge mistake? 2 years 2 months ago #8

• PianoAl
  • 50+ Posts!
That seems similar to my sit-in, which is working great for fishing. No reason for buyer's remorse.

I chose a sit in for weight, and because my legs will get less wet when paddling. When it's windy and choppy, I can use the half spray skirt to stay warm and dry.

Here it is with the spray skirt on it:

KayakFishingSetup.jpg
Last Edit: 2 years 2 months ago by PianoAl.

Did I make a huge mistake? 8 months 4 weeks ago #9

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
I own both, sit on top and sit inside. Originally I purchased one for me and one for the girlfriend/guest, but I find that when fishing in cold weather, I ALWAYS choose the sit inside. More stable, drier, wind is blocked, and much lighter to launch and recover.

Once the season warms up to the point where I wouldn't mind swimming, then the sit on top is nice. Easier to self recover, and I swim from mine a lot, and the breeze is welcome then.

You didn't make a mistake at all, and the sit inside is just as pleasant to fish from in warm weather too. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

I'm glad I have one of each.

Did I make a huge mistake? 6 months 1 week ago #10

• John Spear
  • 10+ Posts!
Oh! The Only things matter do you catch the fish and did you enjoy the process that's it, so did you?
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?