Kayak Fishing Answers Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tackle Organization

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #1

• Borden, Indiana, USA
  • yakitup
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
With Ol' Man winter bearing down on us, at least in the Kentuckiana area, I've been researching tackle organization. So my questions to you are:

1. What do you use to store your tackle?
2. How do you label it?
3. If you can include a picture, please do for all to see.

I just received this tackle bag for Christmas and will be curious to see how what your preferences are.

Flambeau.jpg

I've seen some other post on other sites that use these labels for their plano boxes: Tubes, Craws, Grubs, Jigs, Frogs, Spinner Baits, Jerk Baits, Crank Baits, Float. That's 9 separate boxes.
Feeling Free in Lure 11.5
Slaying the Slippery Tail

YakItUp
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfewiz, FLfishR

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #2

• Manchester, Pennsylvania, USA
  • ldsudduth
  • 50+ Posts!
I split my crank up like this:

Lipless
Floating Jerkbaits
Suspending Jerkbaits
Shallow diving (8' or less)
Deep Diving (greater than 8')

These are all in 3700-series Plano boxes.

I don't use many hook sizes, so they all fit in a 3500 series (#4, #2, #1 and 1/0 Sickle Octopus, 3/0, 4/0 and 5/0 EWG and weighted swimbait hooks). Another 3500-series holds jigs--- 1/8, 3/16, and 3/8 oz Football jigs, 1/8/ 3/16 and 3/8 oz 'Flutter Head' jigs. Bullet weights from 1/8 to 1/2 oz are in another 3500 Series box. I have a plano spnnerbait box for my spinner baits.

I put my plastics I'm taking for the day in a Falcon Speedbag (Now a Plano KVD Signature Series Worm Bag). 20 packs is plenty for a day on the water, and I can take various types.

A total of 9 boxes and 1 bag. I'm not a huge 'hard bait' guy..so I don't have nearly as much as some..I'm a soft plastic guy..I have tons of those.

My next purchase is going to be the new Airpro elevated seat for my Ride 135 and a YakAttack BlackPak crate.. I should be able to fit the terminal tackle under the seat, and everything else in the BlackPak.
Buy Your YakAngler Supporter Badges!

In America today you can murder land for private profit. You can leave the corpse for all to see, and nobody calls the cops. ~Paul Brooks

Proud Supporter of Local Business!

Susquehanna Fishing Tackle
sfttackle.com

GRT Jigs
www.d2lures.com/
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by ldsudduth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfewiz, yakitup, Kayakjak

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #3

• North Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • elgeebee
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132010 YakAngler Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter 2011 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 2012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2011TravelerReviewerCrack YakAngler
I like using waterproof medium-sized tackle trays. I usually carry two and they hold all the plastics, hooks, swivels, etc that I would use in a day's time. Store them inside the kayak or on-deck in a crate...
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfewiz, yakitup

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #4

• Louisville, Kentucky, United States
  • adam
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012FoundersSeekerDilettanteGreen Skull
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I'm that guy that pulls all of his tackle out on a quarterly basis and organizes it.

For my hooks; check out this article that I wrote a couple years ago. I still use this method and love it. Hook Organization

For my soft plastics: I store them all in plano 3731 boxes. I have one for fresh water plastics and one for salt water plastics.

I store every thing else in plano 3700 boxes split up by lure type. So shallow diving cranks in one, deep diving cranks in another, lipless cranks in another, etc.

Moved this topic to "Answer Bag"
Last Edit: 7 years 6 months ago by adam.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfewiz, yakitup, vakayakak

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #5

• Borden, Indiana, USA
  • yakitup
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
adam wrote:
This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I'm that guy that pulls all of his tackle out on a quarterly basis and organizes it.

For my hooks; check out this article that I wrote a couple years ago. I still use this method and love it. Hook Organization

For my soft plastics: I store them all in plano 3731 boxes. I have one for fresh water plastics and one for salt water plastics.

I store every thing else in plano 3700 boxes split up by lure type. So shallow diving cranks in one, deep diving cranks in another, lipless cranks in another, etc.

That's an awesome idea for the Hook Organization. Thanks Adam! :bravo:
Feeling Free in Lure 11.5
Slaying the Slippery Tail

YakItUp

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #6

• Nicholasville, Kentucky, USA
  • wolfewiz
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador Medal
adam wrote:

Thanks for posting Adam....I am ABSOLUTELY going to organize my hooks this way. My panfish hooks are especially notorious for jumping from slot to slot even with the tiny plano boxes I keep them in. I too use the 3731 boxes for my plastics.

Note: The links for the "End of Season" and "Reel Maintenance" articles are no good anymore. Would love to read those too.
Hobie PA14
Bourbon Pro Staffer

The following user(s) said Thank You: yakitup

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #7

• Portland, Oregon,
  • The Nothing
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Author2011 YakAngler Supporter2010 YakAngler SupporterYakAngler Pro TeamSeeker
I am a mess when it comes to tackle organization. I've got trays in my office, living room, garage and cars. Usually don't even go through them until the day before I go fishing.

Once I've got everything I need, the trays and most of the rest of the gear go into my NRS Tailwater tackle bag.
~Isaac

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #8

• Louisville, Kentucky, United States
  • adam
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012FoundersSeekerDilettanteGreen Skull
wolfewiz wrote:
Note: The links for the "End of Season" and "Reel Maintenance" articles are no good anymore. Would love to read those too.

Fixed. Sorry

Tackle Organization 7 years 6 months ago #9

• Amelia Va., ,
  • newyakker
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTraveler
While I have many plano boxes, I generally dont bring more than three for a days fishing. I have a few of each type not trying to cover every color. I slip the 3 boxes under my coosa seat and Im good to go. Use to have a bag in the crate but find I dont need it anymore.
2012 Blue Coosa

Tackle Organization 7 years 5 months ago #10

• smithfield, Kentucky, USA
  • chuckconder
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2010 YakAngler Supporter2012 YakAngler Supporter 2011 YakAngler Supporter
How do you guys organize your kayak/fishing gear? I'd love to see some pics. Do to the fact that I have twin twelve year old boys every thing is times 3 here. My wife's new years resolution/Order for me is to organize the garage.....UHG!

This may be a ploy to take inventory on my stuff....Im gonna need to strategicly plan my explanation...Honey that old thing, thats been in the corner for 5 years...I bought that with the gift card your mom gave me....hehehe
Buy Your YakAngler Supporter Badges!

He who dies with the most fishing gear wins!!
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?