Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: Kayak anchoring guide...

Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 3 months ago #1

• Bath, UK, Other
  • dizzyfish
  • 10+ Posts!
A while back, I was asked about writing informative articles on kayak fishing subjects, well I couldn't think of anything interesting enough to write about ! And I don't like blowing my own trumpet. But then, I got asked alot of questions about anchoring in the kayak, so I thought I would make some videos to show how I do it.

I have tried to give an overview of the anchor system components and both the quick release and non-quick release methods are demonstrated showing anchor deployment and retrieval.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL76806E8856213A68

I hope you enjoy it.

Dizzy.
Follow Dizzy at http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/

My kayak fishing vids http://www.youtube.com/user/dizzyfishuk please subscribe to my channel if you like them.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by YakSushi.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YakSushi, Hammerhead, 59Bassman, KayakFisher1967, Fink, Plan B, Cypheros, sokyfishing, baldkayaker, Rollbar and this user have 2 others thankyou

Re: Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 3 months ago #2

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • 5K+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Presidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerCriticGreen Skull
Mode Note: Moved to "Answer Bag"

Great guide, topic has been made a sticky! :bravo:

Re: Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 3 months ago #3

• Rindge, New Hampshire, USA
  • Hammerhead
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 2012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2011YakAngler Pro TeamAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle Jax 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterSeekerDilettanteGreen SkullCrack YakAngler
Nice Job!
My Blog:YakFish.Net

Re: Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 3 months ago #4

• Okinawa, Other, Japan
  • SemperYAK
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter
Great Videos. Very good job. :daman:

My question is who uses a reef anchor. I made one with 8ga wire not sure if it'll hold in a strong current. However I think any thicker and it won't bend if stuck. any ideas would be great.
Buy Your YakAngler Supporter Badges!

Billy

Kaskazi Dorado II
Ocean Kayak Trident Ultra 4.7
Hobie Outback

Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 3 months ago #5

• North Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • elgeebee
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 2012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2011TravelerReviewerCrack YakAngler
Thanks for the great videos! :bravo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: baldkayaker

Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 3 months ago #6

• Georgetown, Kentucky, USA
  • Pam
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro Team2012 YakAngler Supporter AuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle Jax 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter
Great stuff Dizzy! How is it going with the Beginner's Guide to Kayak Fishing manual you put together? Your media is always top notch! :daman:

Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 3 months ago #7

• Bath, UK, Other
  • dizzyfish
  • 10+ Posts!
Hi Pam - The free kayak fishing guide has gone from strength to strength - I have been overwhelmed by the response - everyone likes a bargain it seems ! I have had some really positive feedback from people who have downloaded it; and to be honest that is what makes it all worthwhile for me.

Thanks for your advice and support Pam, without it, the guide would probably never have come to fruition.

I also just found out that my Youtube kayak fishing channel has just received over 100,000 views - so I am on a bit of a high at the moment !

Ian
Follow Dizzy at http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/

My kayak fishing vids http://www.youtube.com/user/dizzyfishuk please subscribe to my channel if you like them.
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by dizzyfish.

Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 3 months ago #8

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20162016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
Great job DizzyFish...ElGeeBee, and myself have been trying to figure out our issue at the Grillage here in Charleston, SC. I have to say I thing that you hace provided the answer.

Thanks for the pointers.

Kayak anchoring guide... 7 years 2 months ago #9

• Sterling Hgts, Michigan, USA
  • imnohero
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTraveler
gr8 job m8.

Kayak anchoring guide... 6 years 8 months ago #10

• Wildwood, Missouri, USA
  • Plan B
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter Dilettante
I love the first video for the simple fact that I had been considering the thought of just forgetting about an anchor all together.

The fold up anchor was always my first choice until a friend pointed out that it could get caught up and lost at "sea".

Now that I have seen that slip clip method I will be back on the hunt.

The other videos just seem like a lot of time taken away from what I am out there to do and that is fish. I do realize that making an instructional video slows down the actual process from if you were just doing on your own. In addition to that however, all of that line being everywhere also causes a chance to get hung up on anything that might be out there ready to snag you up.

So I'm going with the anchor but with a bit of my own method.
Eat what you catch, or starve like the rest! YARRRR!

Ascend FS12T
Jackson Kayak Cruise 12
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?