Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Fishing Answers Forum

TOPIC: What length stake out pole?

What length stake out pole? 8 years 3 days ago #1

• Palmetto Bay, Florida, USA
  • RSmith
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler SupporterAmbassador MedalTravelerReviewer
I'd like to get a stake out pole but I'm not sure what length to get... Do many of you use them to also pole the kayaks? I'm guessing something that only 6' wont work for that... What lengths and brand stake out poles does everyone use?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What length stake out pole? 8 years 3 days ago #2

• Clearwater, Florida, USA
  • ABadBackcast
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterSeeker
I use a home made one - 8 feet because I like to stand up and pole with it.

A bit heavy but here is how you make it.....

www.abadbackcast.com/2010/10/11/the-stake-out/

Re: What length stake out pole? 8 years 2 days ago #3

• virginia beach, Virginia,
  • landingcrew
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador MedalPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterSeeker
:up: i use a 12 ft. pole, a little long i know but it is what works for me, i made mine, i was able to get ahold of an inch and a quarter inside diameter fiberglass pipe, took a plumb bob, (15 bucks at a local hardware store) take some 150lb braid and attach it to the p.b. use some epoxy to fill the void in the p.b.. run the line through the pipe. take a plumbing T and find a wooden dowl that will fit into the T. drill a hole into the top of the dowl so the braid can thread thru it. glue the p.b. to one end then thread the briad thru the T and tie off to the dowl, glue the t to the pipe and slide the dowl into the t, then rotate the dowl to add tension to the braid then add some epoxy (5 minute works great) let dry then add any addornment you would like. oh i use some of that rhino lining to coat the ends, it helps to make them quieter. the t end makes a great foot for poling around. i will be making a few of these here in the coming months(ie spring boondagle prizes :up: )

Re: What length stake out pole? 8 years 2 days ago #4

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • 5K+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Presidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerCriticGreen Skull
I just got the YakAttack ParkNPole the other week. I'll have a full review here shortly after it gets put through it's paces. On initial use I wish it was 4 feet longer, for easy polling. More to come...

Last Edit: 8 years 2 days ago by YakSushi.

Re: What length stake out pole? 8 years 2 days ago #5

• Palmetto Bay, Florida, USA
  • RSmith
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler SupporterAmbassador MedalTravelerReviewer
So alot of you guys just make em... I'm lazy. Anyone else have any store bought one's you would recommend?
The following user(s) said Thank You: DDOlson

Re: What length stake out pole? 8 years 2 days ago #6

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20162016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
I purchased two...One is from a local shop that carries these...www.stickitanchorpins.com/...about $55 for a 5.5 ft one they make a 7 ft for $75 but I thought it would be two long.

I also got one from www.palmettokayakfishing.com/fiberglasssop.html a 5 ft stakeout pole for $40.

Both are solid fiberglass.

Re: What length stake out pole? 8 years 2 days ago #7

• Central Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania
  • Kayak Fish PA
  • 50+ Posts!
  • YakAngler Guide
I have a five footer I use in shallow areas of lakes to hold position.

I also have a 3 foot "River Stick" for us in shallow river areas.. .kind of like a parking break..it just finds a crack in the river rock

Both were made by Palmetto Kayak Fishing, LLC. The "River Stick" is a prototype that PKF made for me but I believe Paul will make them on request.

I have had no problems with these poles and prefer them because of there weight/density.

Re: What length stake out pole? 8 years 2 days ago #8

• bowling green, Kentucky, USA
  • raincheck
  • 50+ Posts!
Next trip out i'm going too give a pole a try,looks like it will work better than a drag chain which i have 2 of & don't use at all.
River Basser
Terry Adolph

Re: What length stake out pole? 8 years 17 hours ago #9

• VeroDD
  • 10+ Posts!
  • 2011 YakAngler Supporter
I purchased two...One is from a local shop that carries these...www.stickitanchorpins.com/...about $55 for a 5.5 ft one they make a 7 ft for $75 but I thought it would be two long.

I also got one from www.palmettokayakfishing.com/fiberglasssop.html a 5 ft stakeout pole for $40.

Both are solid fiberglass.

Which pole do you like best? They both look good.

Re: What length stake out pole? 7 years 11 months ago #10

• Va.Beach, Virginia, USA
  • Finsup VB
  • 10+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012
I use the 7' stick it pin and I wouldn't leave with out it. The diameter is small enough that it will hold even in strong current. I like the longer for the obvious plus you can started at a lower tide and not have to worry as the flood rises. Just recently got the park and pole from Yak Attack but have yet a chance to try it. I'm sure like even thing else that comes from them that it will be a great anchor pin.
Buy Your YakAngler Supporter Badges!

Mark Lozier
Native Watercraft Pro Staff
Marsh Works Inshore Tackle
Hook1 Crew
Daiwa Endorsed Guide
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?