Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome

TOPIC: Newbie here

Newbie here 1 month 1 week ago #1

Hello everyone. My name is Raymond and I'm a newbie in kayaking. I'm looking for references in which I could make my pickup carry my kayak for a long drive. Any good spots you can also recommend in Ohio and Utah? I'll be visiting my relatives there next month.
Need to install a new nerf bar for pickup since I got mine lifted.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newbie here 1 month 1 week ago #2

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
:welcome:

Newbie here 1 month 1 week ago #3

Thank you!

Newbie here 1 month 1 week ago #4

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Raymond, welcome to the board. Two questions: what pick up truck do you have and what kayak?

If you have a truck hitch on the vehicle, a simple T style truck bed extender is a very popular option like this one:
boonedoxusa.com/products/t-bone-bed-extender
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Newbie here 1 month 1 week ago #5

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Welcome.. there are several options depending on how you want to transport the kayak and what you want to spend.

If you are OK with the kayak hanging out the back, check length some states had limits.. The least expnsive is perhaos the harbor freight bed extender, the better option is that BoonDocks T-Bone extender.

Over head, of you have a full size 4dr truck cab, roof top racks are a good option just make sure you use bow and stern lines.
Thule, and likely a couple other manufacturers, make a set of rack's that mount to the rails of you bed and also transport it over head. My son had a set of thule's on his F150 that easily adjusted up/down height. He lived in an apartment with under-ground garage that was to low to fit the truck with kayak on the roof, so he jsut unlaoded, lowerd the racks and could ten get to his parking spot.

Newbie here 1 month 1 week ago #6

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
Welcome aboard. I used a cheap set of straps with foam blocks to put my Shadow Caster 125 on the roof of my old Chevy and took it over 10,000 miles without a hitch. Highway speeds of 75-80. Now I have a nicer truck and a different camper and I'm looking for a different setup. Lots of great people on here. Loads of info.

Tight lines.
Life without risk is merely existing.

Newbie here 1 month 1 week ago #7

Thanks for the reference and insights.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?