Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome

TOPIC: Kayaking newbie

Kayaking newbie 9 months 1 week ago #1

Seems a lot of searches regarding kayak fishing led me to this site...so I thought I'd join!

I'm a newbie at kayaking; I've been fishing for many years. I am still in the market for my first kayak--leaning heavily towards the Perception Pescador Anger 10. I've rented kayaks at different places, and fell in love instantly!

Like I said, I am a total noob at this, so I may be asking a lot of questions about kayaks, modifications, etc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kayaking newbie 9 months 1 week ago #2

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
Please ask away. There is a ton of knowledge here.
:welcome:

Kayaking newbie 9 months 1 week ago #3

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
The thing to do before asking is to describe your needs, wants, and physical size.

There are many post on pretty much every paddle fishing forum with the same question, "what kayak should I buy" pop's up every other week... Here is a link to one as an example.

I always suggest to people looking into the market thinking of jumping in.. is if possible go visit a couple areas that you plan to fish and see what others are using. Try talking to others, its better to talk when they are coming back in after a day of fishing.. as most of us are very friendly we are generally in a hurry when launching to get out there and make that first cast... although you will also want to go watch as people unload from their vehicle and get set up to head out there.

I also find that people will give you more reliable and real information, especially the negative type, in person than you will get online.

Sales people, (like car sales-people), will always try to sell you what they have instock and/or carry, Pro-staff and sponsored people will do the same after all that's what they are on staff for.

Kayaking newbie 9 months 1 week ago #4

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Welcome to the site. The only stupid question is the unasked question.

Kayaking newbie 9 months 1 week ago #5

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Welcome Jack, you picked a grand time to ask questions. This is the off season for some of us but that also means that prices are very good at this time of year If you don't have to have the latest greatest, straight off of the presses product.

Nice that you have rented a few times and have some personal experiences to draw from. Remember there is no perfect boat for all waters. What one would use on the great lakes trolling for salmon might not be your best bet for fishing small streams with rapidly moving water and many log jams. Match your boat to what type of water that you want to fish the most.

Good luck, welcome aboard and ask specific questions as you start to narrow down your boat choice.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?