Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Welcome

TOPIC: Tips for first time in a sit on Kayak

Tips for first time in a sit on Kayak 1 month 1 week ago #1

I plan on purchasing a kayak in the next few weeks to fish some of the local canals and rivers near me. I'm new to this sub so I was kind of curious to hear from a few kayak enthusiasts about what your biggest do's and don'ts are for first timers, or for anyone for that matter. Whether funny stories to learn from, or simple tips, anything is appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tips for first time in a sit on Kayak 1 month 1 week ago #2

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
First time out wear your pfd... and always leash your paddle.

First couple times out, don;t take anything you can't afford to loose, break, or totally dunk in the water, especially your wallet, keys, and cell phone.

Don't look at the interweb and think you need to start drilling holes and adding stuff. After taking a coupel maiden paddle trips and you feel comfortable start simple bring a rod and a small bit of tackle... you will quickly see what you need and where you want it.

I mainly fish inshore flats and/or canal lake bass fishing. To this day I've been thru several canoes, kayaks, and paddle-boards and have yet to drill many holes in any of them. I think the most I ever drilled and added was a couple deck loops for a paddle keeper and an anchor trolley system which I never use. I have a crate that has been modified a few times with attached rod holders that fits my needs for my style of fishing. I did add a 30qt. cooler that is used as a dry-box fo storage and a seat when I got the SUP, because I needed/wanted a seat and there is just much higher chance of stuff falling off or getting wet, it also works as a raised standing platform for sighting fish.

Tips for first time in a sit on Kayak 1 month 1 day ago #3

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Great response here. I might suggest when it is warm enough take your yak and and "play" with it. See how far you can lean over before you tip, try standing up, etc. This can give you great comfort with your yak.
krash wrote:
First time out wear your pfd... and always leash your paddle.

First couple times out, don;t take anything you can't afford to loose, break, or totally dunk in the water, especially your wallet, keys, and cell phone.

Don't look at the interweb and think you need to start drilling holes and adding stuff. After taking a coupel maiden paddle trips and you feel comfortable start simple bring a rod and a small bit of tackle... you will quickly see what you need and where you want it.

I mainly fish inshore flats and/or canal lake bass fishing. To this day I've been thru several canoes, kayaks, and paddle-boards and have yet to drill many holes in any of them. I think the most I ever drilled and added was a couple deck loops for a paddle keeper and an anchor trolley system which I never use. I have a crate that has been modified a few times with attached rod holders that fits my needs for my style of fishing. I did add a 30qt. cooler that is used as a dry-box fo storage and a seat when I got the SUP, because I needed/wanted a seat and there is just much higher chance of stuff falling off or getting wet, it also works as a raised standing platform for sighting fish.

Tips for first time in a sit on Kayak 1 month 2 hours ago #4

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
The #1 tip and it's already been mentioned. Wear your PFD. Don't give in to pear pressure, the worst time to put on your pfd is when you're in the water. You can go out on a kayak 1,000 times and think you know it all but it only takes 1 time to fall in and suck in a lung full of water or hit an underwater stump and end up as a headline. Always wear a pfd.

Another tip, when it comes to balance... where your head goes, you go. Be careful looking over the side of your boat. Practice it so you'll know how far you can go.

And remember, if you do fall into the water. First, check to make sure you are not injured or otherwise in danger. Then don't panic... you're not on fire, you're just wet. Panic kills and... well... it is a water sport after all.

When the weather is warm and sunny you can put your kayak in a pool or take it to a swimming area in a lake. Some place with friends around (incase you get into trouble). Practice falling out of your kayak and recovering. Yep, push the boundaries. See how far you can move around until you lose it. Go swimming. Get back on your kayak and try it again. get comfortable with falling out of your kayak and recovering. Make a game of it. Have fun.

Tips for first time in a sit on Kayak 4 weeks 2 days ago #5

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
How to launch your boat:

First time out, focus on the safety stuff and the boat - the fishing will follow. Have fun and welcome to the board.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Tips for first time in a sit on Kayak 3 weeks 6 days ago #6

• Barnwell, SC
  • brianowens16
  • 10+ Posts!
#1 : PFD, always
#2 : Spare paddle
#3 : Have a blast
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?