Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Look What I Did

TOPIC: An often overlooked safety measure...

An often overlooked safety measure... 7 months 1 week ago #1

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
I like to practice deep water reentry several times a summer, and something became glaringly obvious, but I rarely see it mentioned in kayak diatribe.

I snorkel a bit, and have also reentered the kayak while wearing swim fins. What a difference! Makes one almost feel like they could Free Willy right over the thing! Let's face it, many if not most of us are NOT like the lithe svelte paddlers that demonstrate how easy it is in a video shot in the middle of August. I'm a chub, and fish in cold water sometimes in cold months, and when it happens, there may be only a chance or two. It has to work.

I bought a pair of short swim fins that FLOAT, called FINIS Floating Swim Fins. Besides floating, they're offered in bright colors and are inexpensive. They are dedicated to being kept in the kayak. I bought mine slightly oversize to slip on in a hurry, and have the added benefit to use as a hand paddle if my paddle is lost, broken, or just to make slight adjustments while fishing or docking.

If you have a set of fins, try reentry wearing them...one whole world of difference! They make it easier than any paddle floats I've tried, or the step on the cooler handle trick. And should reentry fail, pushing or towing the kayak to shore is only hastened by having a set of fins on board. I don't leave shore without them now.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

An often overlooked safety measure... 7 months 1 week ago #2

• Ohio
  • crankbait09
  • 50+ Posts!
great idea, and along the same lines.......

I used to scuba dive when I lived in San Diego, and for some reason kept all my gear when I moved here to Ohio. Although I am not using the fins to help maneuver, I have keep my scuba diving mask on the kayak with me, if I ever need to retrieve items dropped in the water that I NEED to get back. (wallet, keys, etc). Although I have never rolled my kayak, I am prepared for when I do.

And one can purchase a cheap fin/mask set for these emergency purposes. Fins might take up a good amount of space, but a mask/goggles, not so much

An often overlooked safety measure... 7 months 1 week ago #3

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
I edited this to add the video that I tried to do from my cell phone. There are a lot of YouT vids out there, but I found this one very helpful:

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau
Last Edit: 7 months 3 days ago by Clay.

An often overlooked safety measure... 7 months 1 week ago #4

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
It's a good idea but neck deep in hard moving water is not a good place to try and put on foot gear. The only time I ever turtled I was wearing barn boots. Let me tell ya, you don't swim well with barn boots on. If I wasn't so close to shore I would have kicked them off and lived with the decision. But short swim fins, maybe that would be good, especially if they fit and functioned like crocs when walking in surf. Maybe training fins?
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Spider1.

An often overlooked safety measure... 7 months 1 week ago #5

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Re-entry is definetly something that should be practiced.

If you do a bit of searching there are ways to use your paddle as a self help tool for re-entry. There are pass floats available and methods of using a line and the paddle acting as a step.

An often overlooked safety measure... 7 months 3 days ago #6

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
I edited my first post in this thread to add the video that I couldn't add from my phone. I also wanted to share one more YT video that was done recently on cold weather dressing options. This is the first part of a 3 part series if you are so inclined:

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

An often overlooked safety measure... 6 months 4 weeks ago #7

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Great topic

An often overlooked safety measure... 4 months 1 week ago #8

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
I like what you suggest with the swim fins, but if you are too fat to climb back into your kayak, I'm saying you will be too fat to get the fins on, once you've hit the drink, in cold water conditions.

For what it's worth, I keep neglecting to practice re-entry into my kayak. And I also intend to practice trying to capsize it, to learn how far I can push that. But for whatever reason, I just haven't gotten around to doing it. My bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bluestew

Re:An often overlooked safety measure... 3 months 3 weeks ago #9

Good info here. My daughter has those Finis fins for swim team training actually. They ARE super light! We snorkel here even in freshwater so we will have to try the flip and reentry fun this summer.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?