Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Look What I Did

TOPIC: In-Hull retractable anchor

In-Hull retractable anchor 1 year 2 months ago #1

• JimSilva
  • -10 Posts!
Hey all,
I needed an anchor (and trolley) for my new Pelican Catch 100.
As I fish mainly shallow, muddy ponds with quite a bit of snag potential, I wanted an anchor that wouldn't hang up on submerged brush OR cause me to deal with several tons of muck every time I pulled it in.
What I ended up with was something I'd used as a kid but upgraded to a more elegant solution (at least in my eyes...)

The anchor is a 4lb cast iron sash weight.

fullsizeoutput_17b.jpeg

(You know, those things dangling from ropes inside old double-hung windows?). I've got a ton of em that I've gotten when doing renovations on houses over the years and they work great. Drops into the mud or soft sand easily but comes up pretty clean. Sprayed it with a few coats of Flex Seal to rubberize it (no hull scratches and mutes it a bit). These things also fit nicely into any of my recessed rod holders for transport.

I mounted a retractable clothes line reel (after drilling some additional vent/drain holes in it and replacing the line with paracord) inside my front hatch at the bulkhead at the end of the yak near my feet.

Removed one of the single hooks intended as a paddle holding bungee strap (anchor trolley and zig zag cleat too close for it to be useful anyway), drilled it out and inserted a rubber grommet slightly larger than my paracord.

fullsizeoutput_174.jpeg

Fished the line through the inside of the hull from the reel to the grommet hole, added a re-enforced loop for a carabiner that allows me to hook to the actual anchor and prevents the line from retracting too far.

fullsizeoutput_178.jpeg

No clutter, no dangerous loops of unused rope in the way, anchor slips right through the trolley ring so no additional clips needed. (I hate having things laying around that I can get hung up in)

Now some of you will question the lack of quick release should I desperately need it, and yes I thought about it but...

Tried a carabiner hooked to the trolley ring but couldn't one-hand it while dealing with paddle/rod/ whatever and the one time I tried a slip knot through the ring it got tangled in a rod in the rear holder AND one of the seat straps. (got the rod back from the bottom thank you very much lol)

I ALWAYS carry a strap cutter ON my vest and I'm far more confident in my ability to cut the line than to work a different solution. (did I mention that sash weights are free if you are a contractor or ask one to grab you a few?)

Here's a few pics
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by JimSilva.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Spider1, Bluestew

In-Hull retractable anchor 1 year 2 months ago #2

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Slick idea... great DIY solution.

I use a downrigger weight ball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimSilva

In-Hull retractable anchor 1 year 2 months ago #3

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
:bravo: That's a great idea.

In-Hull retractable anchor 1 year 1 month ago #4

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Nice. I like it!

In-Hull retractable anchor 9 months 2 weeks ago #5

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
Oh, that's what they are!

I'm using sash weights too for my kayak anchors. We used them for years for layout hunting, as anchors for strings of decoys. I don't duck hunt anymore, and when I purchased my kayaks these instantly became my go to anchors after bringing up tons of weeds, muck, and clay with other anchors. Now with a jiggle or two, the anchor is clean as a whistle when brought in. I've anchored in some stiff breeze, and so far haven't budged either.

Thanks for letting me know what they are Jim, should I ever need to find more.
Last Edit: 9 months 2 weeks ago by cmonkey.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?