Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Look What I Did

TOPIC: GPS / VHF electronics box

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 month 1 week ago #1

• Davie, FL
  • tbarcia
  • 50+ Posts!
My wife brought home two Invicta watch boxes that look like they might be waterproof so I decided to turn one into an electronics box. There are two 14v lipo batteries inside the box, a standard horizon VHF and a Garmin GPSMAP 440s. I don't have the transducer for the Garmin yet but that's coming soon.

20171010_2205480.jpg

20171010_214108.jpg

20171010_214046.jpg
Boater, kayaker, motorcycle rider, R/C car racer, IT guy, aspiring fisherman and generally handy old guy to have around.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 month 1 week ago #2

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Nice job! :up:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tbarcia

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 month 1 week ago #3

• Des Moines, IA, USA
  • DRH2O
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalProficient YakAngler
I was going to ask why in the world you would use lipo batteries instead of Li-Ion but then I saw 'R/C Car Racer' in your signature and it all made sense haha!

That's pretty slick. My custom electronics work usually looks a lot more quick-and-dirty :)

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 month 1 week ago #4

• Davie, FL
  • tbarcia
  • 50+ Posts!
Mine usually IS quick and dirty. :-) Fortunately the good looking box hides the wiring mess.

Next up, I'll be adding a 1/4 wave VHF antenna to the box but I'll hide about 10' of antenna cable inside the box just in case of an emergency I can ziptie the 1/4 wave to a rod in a holder and get some height under the antenna. I never go far from land on the SUP but it'll be good to be able to get out if needed.

My son and I race 1/8th scale buggies. I run nitro and electric and he runs just electric but we haven't raced since we moved 4 months ago so I'm repurposing some of the cheaper batteries.
Boater, kayaker, motorcycle rider, R/C car racer, IT guy, aspiring fisherman and generally handy old guy to have around.

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 month 1 week ago #5

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
Very neat job. :up:

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 month 14 hours ago #6

• Davie, FL
  • tbarcia
  • 50+ Posts!
I finally got the transducer wired up and the 1/4 wave antenna for the VHF and it seems to work pretty well. I tried hitting a Sea Tow automated radio check station but it's 20 miles away and I knew I wasn't getting anywhere near that with the antenna 12" off the water. Next time I'll have to have my wife on the handheld at home to make sure I can reach her when I'm out fishing.

As far as the transducer, I bought a used one for $10 at a flea market that was missing the plug and had a hell of a time getting it wired up. No matter what I did, no matter how many schematics I tried, I could not get the sounder to see the transducer. As it turns out, it uses the resistance of the temperature sensor to detect that a transducer is connected so no matter whether I had the xducr wired up correctly or not, without the temp sensor (which I figured I'd worry about last) it wouldn't see it.

Now I need to try to get the sounder setup right so it will read in shallower water.

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 week 4 days ago #7

• n36511
  • -10 Posts!
I gotta look into something like that! Perfect to hid the wires!

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 week 4 days ago #8

• n36511
  • -10 Posts!
Where do you put that on the boat and do you secure it some way?

GPS / VHF electronics box 1 week 10 hours ago #9

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
We used to drop the mast on our sailboat for canal trips and I would use a 10" Shakespeare Stowaway antenna. It was good for line of sight and I could call ahead five miles to the locks along the NYS canal. Just a little bigger than a handheld VHF whip antenna.

Has a suction cup base and comes with cable.

Might be very handy for a kayak set-up.

I have a little Standard/Horizon HX280 submersible handheld that is a great kayak VHF.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?