Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Look What I Did

TOPIC: Yak Storage Stand

Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #1

• Lake Worth, Florida, USA
  • FLNavyVet
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Ambassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
I just got my first yak a few weeks ago and already have a second. We picked up a used Ascend Sit on top from Craigslist for the wife to try out. Well, now we had a storage problem. One yak sitting on the garage floor was one thing. Two? Now they're just taking up lots of space. If the wife likes this, we will have a third shortly for our daughter so this problem is about to grow again.

I did lots of research online looking at yak racks and saw quite a few ideas I liked. Most where made of wood and heavy. I wanted something I could move if needed and would be fine getting wet. So I decided to go with PVC. I sketched out what I liked from pictures online and came up with my design. Quick trip to the Home Depot and $95 later, I had everything needed to hold three yaks.

Everything is made from 1 1/2 PVC:

Here is the list of materials:

7 - 10' 1-1/2" PVC
24 - T's
8 - End Caps
1 - can glue

The cross bars are all cut 36" and there are 6 of them. There are 6 runners, all cut 60". Uprights are all 12" (8 of them). The small sections were all cut 4" and I needed 20 of them. I made the uprights a little longer, but they were too long for what I needed, so I shorted one section (hence the couplers in the picture -- If you plan better, you won't need those :lolo: )

Broken into a list:

6 - 36" lengths
6 - 60"
8 - 12"
20 - 4"

I pre-cut everything on the saw then started gluing sections together in kind of a production format. From start to finish, the stand took about a little over an hour to make.

Pardon the messy garage, but here it is in use:

The next step is to add some hooks / holders on the side to hold the paddle and other gear.
Shawn
Lake Worth, FL

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: adam, KayakFisher1967, vakayakak, Pikecreek, Plan B, Irish Fly, FLfishR, Grandbuddy, peavey, Angler Jon and this user have 3 others thankyou

Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #2

• Ashland, Ohio, USA
  • yakfisher100
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTraveler
good idea. I need to make one the same height as my truck bed do I can slide it on and off without breaking my back.
Yafisher100
Trident 13 (Cammo)
Gullwing Paddles
The following user(s) said Thank You: peavey

Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #3

• Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, USA
  • Angler Jon
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalTraveler
Awesome. Thanks for sharing the list of materials. Seems like you've got the whole family hooked.
2014 Jackson Cuda 14 (Yellow Jacket)

Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #4

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20162016 YakAngler SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
I like....I might have to build something like this for my Kayaks that are stored under the carport.

Thanks for sharing.

:daman:

Re:Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #5

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
I really like that! I wonder if you will get indents in the yak from the bars. Please let us know how it works after awhile of yes. I might have to build one for my garage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Re:Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #6

• FLNavyVet
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Ambassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
smj190 wrote:
... I wonder if you will get indents in the yak from the bars. Please let us know how it works after awhile of yes.

Will do. Both the wood and PVC designs I saw were all flat, so I figured it would be OK. I do have the same concern on my yak since the bottom is not flat. My wife's Ascend is flat bottomed and sits nice. I am thinking of getting some foam and wrapping the end pieces where mine sits to give it some cushion. Only issue is won't slide well then. Right now, they slide in and out really well. I'll keep an eye on it and post back.
Shawn
Lake Worth, FL

The following user(s) said Thank You: smj190

Re:Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #7

• Jimmyfish
  • 50+ Posts!
Wow thanks. Just what I needed.
Getting parts this week to build this weekend. I'm going to try swivel casters to turn this into a mobile cart so I can wheel it out for work and maintenance.
Sure oil canning won't be a issue if there's no weight on top of the yaks.

Perhaps it can be made slimmer so the yaks can rest sideways to keep them off the keels and save valuable space. I'll place a sheet of plywood on top to create a shelf for storage.

Thanks again!

Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #8

• kenosha, Wisconsin, USA
  • GLKA
  • 10+ Posts!
Very nice!

Re:Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #9

• FLNavyVet
  • 500+ Posts!
Jimmyfish wrote:
Wow thanks. Just what I needed.
Getting parts this week to build this weekend. I'm going to try swivel casters to turn this into a mobile cart so I can wheel it out for work and maintenance.
Sure oil canning won't be a issue if there's no weight on top of the yaks.

Perhaps it can be made slimmer so the yaks can rest sideways to keep them off the keels and save valuable space. I'll place a sheet of plywood on top to create a shelf for storage.

Thanks again!

Let me know how the casters work out. I thought of it, but was worried the frame would move too much while trying to load in a yak. Maybe the casters with the lock to keep it in place.

I planned on holding three yaks so sideways wouldn't work there. Two, most likely. The Trident is pretty slim and some other yaks I've looked at are about the same. My wife's, er, um, yak is rather wide at 34" in the middle. :lolo: Hence the wider frame.
Shawn
Lake Worth, FL

Re:Yak Storage Stand 5 years 10 months ago #10

• Jimmyfish
  • 50+ Posts!
I have a Tarpon 160 which is mighty narrow but "my wife's" Tarpon 140 is much wider. LOL

I think a wheel chock made from a 1" x1" should work or a locking caster. I'll see what I can find at Home Depot.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?