Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Look What I Did

TOPIC: Post rigging blunder

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #1

• WildCat
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter Reviewer
When I got my first kayak I was so excited, that week I hopped online and bought everything I needed, rod holders, anchor trolley, extra hatch etc. That weekend I installed the rodholders, anchor trolley, fish finder, ram mount and hatch.

So the following weekend I get to take the kayak out on it's maiden voyage. I quickly relized that I really F-ed up.

Paddling I ran into the rod holder, the hatch I installed was almost useless and very awkward, the ram mount was too far forward for me to use comfortably. The anchor trolley and fish finder installs were ok but everything else was totally in the wrong place.

How many of you have run into this, you rig everything up before even fishing out of your kayak and later realize... Why the "F" would I need a rod holder right behind my left elbow, or why did I install that ram mount so far forward that I have to scoot up 2 feed to even reach the damn thing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deckape, KayakFisher1967, MichChef

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #2

• soccerdad
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPresidents Day Boondoggle 20122010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2012 YakAngler Supporter
This post should be a sticky WC. Too many people do what you did. There is a great lesson here.

Some of best advice I got was to paddle naked (naked boat - not naked me :) ). And to carry a sharpie to mark the spots where I really truly wanted to mount things. Even still I made a few mistakes that did not sink the ship.

The nice thing is that when you move things you can likely add a pad eye or a j hook or a beer can holder that will be useable going forward.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Plan B, madmax79, MichChef, hotfoot

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #3

• Lakeshore, Other, Canada
  • Pikecreek
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Author2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Pro Team2012 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter TrailblazerAficionadoGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
I have rigged 5 or 6 kayaks and re rigged some of those. Usually I will sit in it and try to measure exactly where I am going to place things and make sure that I can reach, rod holders, fish finders. Before I do that I will search the internet for examples of rigging the model of kayak that I am doing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jugbutt, Amertens

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #4

• Tidewater, Virginia, USA
  • standingyak
  • MOD Squad
  • Ambassador MedalBoondoggle Website Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter
soccerdad wrote:
Some of best advice I got was to paddle naked (naked boat - not naked me :) ). And to carry a sharpie to mark the spots where I really truly wanted to mount things.

This is great advice.
I generally keep my boats minimalist to reduce flyline snags (the newest is still "naked"), but before I mount anything, I make a number of trips in hopes of avioding a rigging mistake. Mistakes happen, but most are salvagable to a degree. I try to mount something else, patch it, or get used to it. :S

Sorry WildCat. Many of us know the pain. I take it you've moved onwards and upwards since the first time.
Last Edit: 7 years 2 weeks ago by standingyak.

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #5

• jacksonville, Florida, USA
  • HARLEY
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011
I did the same thing on my first yak, all said and done i ended up with 8 rod holders sticking out of everywhere. Most were in the way, now i am on yak number 11 and everything is kept to a minimal, including my tackle, which i have continued to downsize.
NATIVE ULTIMATE 14.5

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #6

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • 5K+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Presidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerCriticGreen Skull
HARLEY wrote:
all said and done i ended up with 8 rod holders sticking out of everywhere.

I have this image of a porcupine paddling across the water! :lmao:
The following user(s) said Thank You: KayakFisher1967, Mrad82

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #7

• Nicholasville, Kentucky, USA
  • wolfewiz
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador Medal
I only have had one kayak, but I have taken my time on my rigging, keeping things simple....no real regrets yet. I waited for a year to add the fish finder. That is my only regret, I should have done it right away...I was glad however that in my anal retentive overanalyzation of the process I am very happy with my setup. I imagine I would have done more rigging by now but my ride is set up pretty good out of the box. I have added a couple rod holders, visicarbon pro, camera holder and multiple scotty flush mounts.
Hobie PA14
Bourbon Pro Staffer

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #8

• North Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • elgeebee
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 2012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2011TravelerReviewerCrack YakAngler
I have done this before too, and it drove me crazy. You can get some stainless-steel nuts and bolts along with a little silicone and 'plug' those old mount holes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deckape

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #9

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • 5K+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Presidents Day Boondoggle 2015Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerCriticGreen Skull
soccerdad wrote:
This post should be a sticky WC. Too many people do what you did. There is a great lesson here.

[Mod Note: topic moved to Look What I Did forum and turned into a Sticky]
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deckape

Post rigging blunder 7 years 2 weeks ago #10

• , ,
  • magnetik
  • 10+ Posts!
As far as rod holders.. I usually like to keep things modular and removeable. I use the rails on my Native for everything and can take my kayak back to "factory" if I need to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rollbar
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?