Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing?

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 10 months 6 days ago #1

• lynn7525
  • -10 Posts!
I prefer to canoe, as I have more room in it. Typically fishing for fish (
canoesurfer.net
) that are 3′ or longer (Stripped Bass and Northern Pike) in rivers. Most of the kayaks I’ve seen would not allow me to put one of those anywhere but in between my legs inside - and I don’t want one that closes;-) Hanging overboard on a stringer would probably cause problems, I’ve had Blues and Strippers rip mackerels off my stringer when I’ve left them over the side.
AND
Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 10 months 4 days ago #2

• Not close enough to the river
  • Fishing Pole
  • 10+ Posts!
Although a canoe does have it's advantages I prefer a kayak due to the ability to be closer to the water and the self draining. To each his own though. Heck there are times I even like my jon boat over either a canoe or a kayak
"Behold, I am going to send for many fishermen," declares the Lord - Jeremiah 16:16

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 10 months 4 days ago #3

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
I prefer a kayak. I use a cooler bag on the front to put my fish.

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 10 months 3 days ago #4

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2016 YakAngler Supporter2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I still use both. I prefer my Yak but some places I would rather take my Canoe. :up:

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 10 months 2 days ago #5

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
Depends on which canoe, depends on which kayak, depends on which river.

I like both, but for rivers with any current I prefer the kayak. Also where I plan on covering a lot of distance or in any wind.

I rarely keep anything I catch from a kayak (when I go for perch it's from a larger boat and catfish from the bank). Occasionally I have a 55 lb Airedale behind me . . . and that's as difficult I imagine as a good sized fish. Especially when he tries to help.
Charlie P. - "Take a fish kayaking!"

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 7 months 1 week ago #6

• Jabango
  • -10 Posts!
Kayak fishing is a little harder then canoe fishing. I prefer my kayak though.

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 3 months 1 week ago #7

In a city, your perspectives from a kayak are not normal for anybody else's. Out in nature, you can draw nearer to untamed life since you're making for all intents and purposes no clamor. Simply make sure to be conscious! Ocean Kayaking Guide In case you're going for quite a while, you can acquire supplies with you to store the vessel. This implies a significantly longer time rowing on the water, adventuring with the ebb and flow, and connecting with nature.

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 2 months 4 weeks ago #8

• Thunder Bay, Ontario
  • Bluestew
  • 10+ Posts!
I came to kayak fishing after being a life-long canoe angler. The deciding factor was wind. compared to a kayak, almost any canoe will be at the mercy of the wind. I'm using a Wildy Radar 135 and it has enough room in-hull and on-deck to let me go camping and fishing for a week, and still access those hidden "honey-holes".

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 2 months 4 weeks ago #9

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalReviewer
I feel a sit on top kayak has more room at least for me from a comfort stand point than a canoe. I feel less claustrophobic with a sit on top kayak with a stadium style seat. Now if you are comparing a canoe to a sit in style kayak then yeah I'd probably take the canoe. It all depends on what style of kayak you are comparing the canoe to.

Is a canoe or kayak better for fishing? 2 months 3 weeks ago #10

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Depends on a lot of factors, to many to list... its mostly a personal opinion. There really is no single correct answer to that question.

I have and use a canoe, kayak, and SUP.. for fishing mainly inshore S Florida areas and in the fresh/brackish water canals, lakes, and swamps.

As far as putting a larger fish somewhere, I had a Kazkazi Dorado kayak that is a fiberglass SOT made in S. Africa, that has a fairly large fish box. It was accessed thru the center between your legs by lifting the door, like a console in the car, and slide the fish in, or a 10" round screw top hatch on the forward deck.

If you go up North you will see more sit inside kayaks being used, and down South its the opposite most people are using sit-on-to kayaks.

Here in the Sunny South most guys who fish what they call offshore, (I call near shore), catch Kingfish and will have some sort of fish bag attached to the bow area loaded with ice to keep fish...
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?