Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Weather

Weather 1 month 1 week ago #1

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
This summer has been bloody awful, in terms of weather. Wife and I have gotten in 2 kayak trips is all.

For 3 weeks... a month even? Nothing but rain, clouds, more rain...

All the rivers in this part of the country (central Alberta) are at flood stage, and have been for pretty much 3 weeks. Huge logs roaring down the rivers, just swollen brown from run-off. Not safe to navigate due to all the debris. Impossible to fish.

rivers.alberta.ca/

The only thing that makes this even partly tolerable is that I've been working 12 hour shifts now for 10 daze... yes, that is spelled correctly!

But today I saw the sun! I actually took a pic of the bit of blue I saw through the clouds...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weather 1 month 1 week ago #2

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
It's now partly cloudy, 25C, which is only 77F but it feels like a bloody furnace, after being under solid cloud for a month.

Weather 1 month 1 week ago #3

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I feel your pain brother. We had a couple nice days and this weekend is supposed to be good so I gotta do chores while the weather holds. I might be able to get out for a few hours if nothing gets too complicated. Then it'll probably start raining again. My peppers all got root rot, the tomatoes are stunted and I'm worried about the garlic but at least most of the squashes are doing ok. Been a tough few years in my garden. Might have to start planting rice :dry:

Weather 1 month 1 week ago #4

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
Alberta has been hit by massive storms for the last month. Major thunder, hail, some tornado activity.
Massive crop damage from all the hail and rain. I think a lot of crops might be too late to recover.

They host International level Jet Boat races here, on the Athabasca River each year (which I hate, but that's another story...), but it has rained so much, it threatened the race this weekend!
Athabasca is too high, too much debris, barely any clearance under the bridge, for Jet Boats to pass below it.

Those boats hit speeds up around 140 mph, and about 10(?) years ago, a woman was killed. Boat whacked into a plume of water, shooting off an obstruction. The boat jumped sideways, the nose caught the water and it went nose-in, right to the bottom... in an instant.
The young lady (25 years old or so) got knocked out, stayed under too long. Before they could get her out she had drowned.

Weather 1 month 1 week ago #5

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
Around here it's been HEAT. Highs in the upper 90's with 90 plus percent humidity. Now it's as bad as Louisiana is fixing to get but we are expecting 8-10 inches of rain from Barry. :down:

Weather 1 month 1 week ago #6

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
We've been getting hammered with rain in western Kentucky. 4th of July week alone we had almost a foot hit the ground. Now it's just hot and humid. Can't figure the fish out at all. I've got grass on some spots that is 2 feet tall and the grounds to wet to cut it. May have to get some goats.
Life without risk is merely existing.

Weather 1 month 1 week ago #7

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalReviewer
I got the kayak so I could fish when there were droughts and I could go where the boats couldn't go. So far its been 2 years of rain and high water. I got one or two really good years of use out of it then now it looks like 2 years of minimal use.

Weather 1 month 1 week ago #8

• Whitecourt, Alberta
  • Demonical
  • 50+ Posts!
Water levels in the McLeod are still around 4' above normal, which is good for kayaking, but still not any good for fishing.
But I'm still tied up working, still have 4 more to go on a stretch of 17 out of 19, 12 hour shifts. When I finally get off Friday morning, we are heading to BC. So I won't get a chance to get on that river until sometime in Aug?

Taking the kayaks to BC though, and hope to get in some fishing on the lakes there.

But this Alberta 'summer' has been a write-off so far... :down:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?