Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Attaching a kayak to a camper.

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
Hey I've been kicking a few ideas around to be able to take my kayak and my 5th wheel camper at the same time. Kayak is 12'5" long and weighs 95lbs. Camper is 13'4" tall. Won't fit inside because of the slides and door configuration. Have thought about attaching somehow to the ladder on it but it would stick out above the camper 1 foot to keep ground clearance on the yak. Roof racks are out because to have it there would put half of it out over the hood.

Any ideas?
Life without risk is merely existing.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Have friends who recently retired, and have a big F250 diesel pu, they pull a pretty good sized 5th wheel and travel quite a bit. Both are canoe & kayak people, one fishes the other is a photographer... Same problemm How to bring the canoes &/or kayaks on the road.

They solved the riddle by getting an inflatable kayak for the road. I think its a tandem, but it fits packed in its transport bag in one of the storage compartments...

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 1 month 2 weeks ago #3

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
I thought about getting a shorter yak that would fit in the underbelly storage in the back. It would be cheaper than buying 2 roof racks, a front hitch, and a goal post style rack. That's still money I could put towards other things. I've seen 100's yaks attached to the ladders on big campers before. Just not since I got this 5th wheel. Thought I'd ask here first.

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 1 month 1 week ago #4

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I've seen a place, and several travellers, with that setup, there is a place over in Naples/Ft. Meyers area that sets them up.

Front receiver hitch with the upright goal-post in the front and a rack one the roof... my friends said like you, and they have solo canoes that are 14', and/or 12' Tarpon kayak, they did not want them hanging that far out over the hood when driving.

Have seen RV's with yaks on the back secured to the ladder, but mostly 10' recreational kayaks.

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 1 month 1 week ago #5

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I've seen several that seemed to be that long strapped to the back of the the wheel at an angle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Samthetramp

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 1 month 1 week ago #6

• SC
  • areeldrag
  • 10+ Posts!
What about this.
I have also seen DIY of this using a hitch rack.

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 1 month 1 week ago #7

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
That's what my current thoughts have drifted to. My spare is under the 5ver and it has a receiver hitch centered in the back. Thinking if I could get or make one that would pivot or is made on an angle the yak wouldn't stick out the top too far Might make it easier to load it because of the weight.

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 4 weeks 1 day ago #8

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
My friend was recently looking to rig a FF for her inflatable that se purchased to solve the how to get her paddle craft on the 5th wheel RV. She paddles a Wenonah Vagabond solo canoe and also a Tarpon 120 kayak and could not find a way to attach either for travel, and being a long time paddler did not want a smaller/shorter kayak.

She found and posted this, on another board FTF, video... according to her this inflatable paddles as well as her Tarpon 120.

Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by krash.

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 3 weeks 3 days ago #9

• All over
  • Samthetramp
  • 50+ Posts!
They're pretty proud of that critter. I can get the racks to mount mine forward on my roof and have $500 left for more fishing gear. Thanks for the info though.

Attaching a kayak to a camper. 3 weeks 3 days ago #10

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
For sure... I understand. My friends had the same discussion with themselves and decided they did not like the roof rack with their canoe & kayak stciking way forward, affecting feul mileage and their view on the open road in the mountains. After the fact, being seasoned paddlers, they say they miss their hard paddle craft but speak very highly about that inflatable considering how much paddling time that actually get while road tripping.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by krash.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?