Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Paddling against tides

Paddling against tides 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

• hockeyboy09
  • 10+ Posts!
Hello,

I have plenty of kayak experience in fresh water. Im picking up my saltwater kayak today. Ive done the research for fishing and safety. One thing I cant figure out is how difficult it is to paddle agaist ocean tides. On a normal day id want to paddle out on an incoming tide and possibly come back as the tide is out. Is this a problem?

Ill be fishing in Charlotte harbor within a couple hundred yards of shore and the channels of peace river and charlotte harbor. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Paddling against tides 1 month 1 week ago #2

• SC
  • areeldrag
  • 10+ Posts!
How difficult it is depends on your kayak. We had some cheaper ones & really struggled but not that bad with my Cuda 12. Of course it is really nice to be able to go with the tide but that really limits your fishing. When I do fish a main channel I do try to go with tides because they can really rip & it just wears you out otherwise.

Paddling against tides 1 month 1 week ago #3

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
This is a loaded question... paddling off the beach its not nearly as bad as it is in the mouth of an inlet or pass, and paddling near a bridge where it acts a a funnel all are quite different answers. Wind will also play a big part, and in the SW Florida area you mention you also have to deal with the Loop current.

The kayak does have a bit to do with it, but the kayak would be the same in calm water.

I paddle in tidal currents all the time, but both my kayak and canoe are pretty efficient paddling craft.

For that specific area I'd try hitting South West Florida Kayak Angler's and ask the locals.

Paddling against tides 1 month 1 week ago #4

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
It really depends on how strong the current. I have been in tides that paddling against was not problem all the way to forget about it. I prefer to use the tide to my advantage as much as possible. If I can float out with tide and back in with tide my day is a lot easier. If you are in a good locations, you can have good fishing all day long.

Paddling against tides 1 month 1 week ago #5

• hockeyboy09
  • 10+ Posts!
Thanks everyone,

I'm paddling a Tarpon 120. It's a good paddling yak. Not good for standing though.

I paddled against and with a slow tide. It seemed pretty much the same both ways.

I do realize all places are different. I'm fishing Ponce park in Punta tomorrow. I know the current at the inlet

can rip at times.

Tomorrow will be my second time out on the new yak. The yak has not yet been properly slimed.

Mike
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?