Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Fishing etiquette

Fishing etiquette 1 month 3 weeks ago #1

• Louisville, KY
  • Daveed
  • 10+ Posts!
Today I visited a local lake (about 300 acres) at about noon. Obviously, it's the front end of a holiday week and we are having clear skies and high temps and humidity. Not really a time for serious fishing, just relaxing. I expected boat traffic and there was plenty.

As I paddled around a main lake point, where I like to fish, I see 2 guys in a bass boat, maybe 200 yards away. (Maybe closer, maybe farther, not sure). I felt I was far enough away to to start fishing. Also, I did not know if they were 'posted up' on their spot or if they were moving away or towards me. Turns out, they we working the bank towards me.

I was not really focused on these guys but I think I overheard some comments that were not too friendly for me. They got closer and worked around me...I head a comment along the lines of 'If I were in a tournament..."

So, I respect peoples position, but if they are moving along a shoreline, how much room ahead do they 'get'? quarter mile? half a mile? or none at all? Also what's this idea about tournament people having more rights to the water? This isn't bowling, dude!

I don't know, I thought It was weird, but I am open to giving a little more room, but It's a public lake and I never got the memo on how much room the boat guys get.

Thoughts, anyone?
Perception Pescador Pro 10
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fishing etiquette 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
A good question.

In my memory I recall being on waters in the Catskills when another angler (fly fisher) would wait for you to finish working a run before approaching. Those days are gone.

Now, in boats, it seems to be limited to casting distance. Angles stay just out of casting range of each other.

On the shore all bets are off. Recently I caught a walleye (from the shore) and by the time I had released it I had a stranger standing 10 feet away and casting out where I had been fishing. I no longer bother going out on opening day for trout because it is elbow-to-elbow in some streams and rivers. I don't enjoy that.

Public access doesn't give you rights. And there will always be jerks. Move on is the best remedy.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Fishing etiquette 1 month 2 weeks ago #3

• 4X4Dad
  • 50+ Posts!
Personally I try to stay at least 100 yards away from other fishing boats . But , if your just sitting or anchored and they are moving , I would say it's their responsibility to steer clear of you . Boaters are just like automobile drivers . Some are curtious and some are jerks .

Fishing etiquette 1 month 2 weeks ago #4

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Loaded question with no answer... it's personal choice and no legal rule.

As a paddler I typically give way to boaters to prevent confrontation, but stuff happens. It's a situational thing, never heard the tournament comment but I have been confronted by Guides who for some reason generally think that because they are being paid and I'm only a kayaker they should have rights to the water since it's their spot.
I'm 68 years young so in MPO you gotta be pretty old to have been fishing the area I fish longer and have any claim to the spots if there was such a thing.

If I'm working a shoreline and see boater working the same shoreline from the other direction I will generally move off and let them pass, then continue on my way. Unfortunately as a paddler we don;t have the option to pick up and quickly run to another area.

Fishing etiquette 1 month 2 weeks ago #5

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I tend to stay away from public waters when the tourons are out in force. They get it in their little imagination that they are some great pro-bassmaster and everyone else has to get out of their way just like the guy on TV. It's the whole gotta-catch-a-fish mentality. It's supposed to be about relaxing and having fun, some guys just take it way to seriously.

Fishing etiquette 1 month 2 weeks ago #6

• Racerx
  • 50+ Posts!
Yeah, I continue to run into my share of boat-douches, myself. Last week, it was two guys that piloted right along side me, in a boat, and started pitching to the shore I was working to. This weekend, it was a couple in a pontoon boat that raced to beat me into a cove (I was currently working across the outside point, toward the cove, and was just within casting distance of where they pulled in.). I hear the husband say "Drop the anchor". This lady THROWS this mushroom anchor in, letting out this giant SPLOOSH!!, that spooked ME! I though "Well, THIS spot is shot", and decided to pack it in, right then.

I hate people.

Fishing etiquette 1 month 3 days ago #7

• HarryLand
  • -10 Posts!
things are not like they used to be, nowadays its all crowded with no respect for others, sometimes I wish I had my own private island to fish in peace hha
Pike Fishing is the hardest fishing

Fishing etiquette 1 month 1 day ago #8

• Guntersville, Al
  • Yakcraz
  • 50+ Posts!
treat-people-the-way-they-treat-you.jpg
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?