Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Native Ultimate 12

Native Ultimate 12 4 months 3 weeks ago #1

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Who here paddles , or has owned, a Native Ultimate 12 ?

Looking for information pro's/con's about this specific kayak for fishing... How'd ya like it, did you stand and fish, while standing did you paddle or pole, how efficiently can you go form paddling/poling while standing to casting, how easy is it to go from seated to standing and back to sitting.

IDK or want to know how any other kayak might be a better choice, unless you have a suggestion for a SOT type kayak that weighs LESS than 50 pounds including the seat.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Native Ultimate 12 3 months 3 days ago #2

• Kentucky
  • John88
  • 10+ Posts!
I have a native ultimate 12. It's a nice boat. Good cross between a kayak and single seat canoe and easy to paddle. I can stand in calm water but prefer to sit. Getting up and down is fairly easy. Plenty of room for gear or even a multi day paddle. I fish mine year round and being a sit in versus sit on you stay dry unless hitting some rapids.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by John88.

Native Ultimate 12 3 months 3 days ago #3

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Thx, John... I picked up one, its an original U12 but the Elite model, composite rather than roto-mold poly.. without the seat it actually weighs (on my bathroon scale I trust) 40 pounds. Due to health issues I am limited to about 40 pounds when it come to lifting.

Its missing the drop down skeg, I'm looking to buy one but the parts are np longer available. The sliding knob, outer and inner tube are there but the skeg is missing.

It was not in the best of conditions cosmetically, stored outwide in the sun for a few years kind of a barn find, but with a lot of elbow grease and some compound, polish, wax, and a DA polisher it looks almost new now.

I also have a nice 14' Wenonah Vagabond solo canoe that weighs 38 pounds for comparison, and had several kayaks previously, and yes it could be argued its more of a canoe than kayak... the U12 paddles as well or better than the solo canoe although the canoe tracks better, and the composite version of the U12 is noisier in the chop on the water.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by krash.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?