Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Lost the front hatch cover in transit.

Lost the front hatch cover in transit. 4 months 3 weeks ago #1

• Pa
  • 16ga
  • 10+ Posts!
I took the kayak out yesterday and today leaving it on the car over night. Its a sit inside with a very small compartment in the front that I keep a few extra carabiners in. its not big enough for anything else.
When I loaded the kayak on the car last night the front hatch cover was still there but once I arrived at the lake today it was gone. I’m guessing blew off on the way.
Should hatch covers be removed when car topping? Both trips were short and on back roads so its not like I was flying down the highway or anything. mostly 20 to 40mph.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Lost the front hatch cover in transit. 4 months 3 weeks ago #2

• Russellville, arkansas
  • aeds151
  • 250+ Posts!
Negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re:Lost the front hatch cover in transit. 4 months 3 weeks ago #3

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
it depends. You can take it off if you want, some hatch covers have straps or bungee to help hold them in place. My Future beach has 2 hatch covers that have tethers attached to them so they don't get lost.

Lost the front hatch cover in transit. 4 months 3 weeks ago #4

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
Sorry you lost your cover...at least you know it is an area of concern when you replace it.

Yesterday took the yak out, and prior departing the ramp, switched lures on shore. Set a nice new Rapala Shad Rap on my bumper while I tied on a spinnerbait. You know the rest of the story...I drove the truck up a steep rutted hill to the parking area, got out on the water, and proceeded to enjoy life.

But midway through the excursion, I got to wondering where I had put the Rap. I hoped it was inside the bed of the truck, but somehow remembered putting it on the bumper. It probably fell off at the ramp and was found by another fisherman, or seen on the bumper in the busy lot and swiped.

Came in after a relaxing day, and there it was, sitting exactly where I left it on the bumper. Didn't jiggle off, and the numerous fishermen that walked by were either honest or didn't notice it.

You might take a walk along part of your route to see if your hatch turns up. Hope so.

Lost the front hatch cover in transit. 4 months 3 weeks ago #5

• , ,
  • krash
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
If its not attached or strapped down, secure it, remove it, or chance loosing it.

I've seen more than one post over the years about someone loosing a hatch cover during tansport.

Lost the front hatch cover in transit. 4 months 3 weeks ago #6

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
Don't have a hatch now, but in the past (and for trailerable boats) I'd rig a hook under the center of the hatch and make a bungee inside that could loop over the hook to hold it down.

Plan B was to rig a line to a tie-off point and snug it down for trailering or for when parked so "idle hands" couldn't lift the hatch to see what was inside.

We got diverted off I76 (closed for a chemical truck accident) into inner-city Philadelphia while trailering a sailboat back from a week on the Chesapeake Bay and while urchins were cleaning my windshield and leaning against the driver's side door at a stop light their chums were giving the boat a pat-down. Happily everything was tight. And I'm glad I had an aluminum roll-top bed cover instead of a canvas snap down on the pick-up.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?