Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi

Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi 1 month 2 days ago #1

• Pa
  • 16ga
  • 10+ Posts!
i'm getting everything together and ready to better outfit my sit inside kayak for this season. And of course the big thing is the fish finder.
Im planing on getting the Garmin Striker 4cv but still have some questions on it.
I'm I correct to assume that all I need is the unit, 12v battery, and a charger? no other hardware or wiring?
Also can I mount this inside the hull of my plastic kayak or do I need a transducer arm of some kind?
Also what are the pros and cons of both methods?
I'm thinking mounting the transducer inside the hull would be cheaper and easier but how much would it effect the performance? And if I change my mind later would it be difficult to remount it to an arm?
Lastly if I mount the unit as is out of the box is it removable for transportation or would I need something like a scotty mount to do that?
Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi 1 month 2 days ago #2

• Arizona
  • Gunslinger808
  • 50+ Posts!
I'm I correct to assume that all I need is the unit, 12v battery, and a charger? no other hardware or wiring?

That should do it, most finders come as complete kits with all wiring and connectors included.
Also need to find a place/way to mount the battery so it doesn't move around.

ETA...
One thing to keep in mind is to make sure the unit you buy specifically states that it comes with the transducer, some units are sold cheaper because the don't come with one.
Also can I mount this inside the hull of my plastic kayak or do I need a transducer arm of some kind?

You can, a lot depends on hull shape, lots of how to videos on YouTube regarding this.
I went with a transducer arm on mine, just felt it would work better for me, and gave a more accurate reading.

Here's the exact arm I went with, mounted straight off the stern of my yak, nice thing is you can tip it up for beaching...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BFVH6S2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Lastly if I mount the unit as is out of the box is it removable for transportation or would I need something like a scotty mount to do that?

I went with a Scotty mount, most receivers are set up with permanent mounting hardware which is not really ideal for kayak transportation.
Hold my beer and watch this!
Last Edit: 1 month 2 days ago by Gunslinger808.

Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi 1 month 1 day ago #3

• Tuscarawas, Ohio
  • Smallmouth
  • 10+ Posts!
Good questions!
I'm also looking at the Garmin Striker 4.

Thanks for those answers, Gunslinger.

Has anyone here contrasted the accuracy issue between through-the-hull vs mounted-in-the-water setup? I plan to mount mine internally, but would consider external mount if the accuracy difference is noticeable.
I suppose I can test that myself before committing to a mount once I get the gear and the water becomes liquid again.....
My worst day on water still beats my best day at work.....

Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi 4 weeks 2 days ago #4

• Pa
  • 16ga
  • 10+ Posts!
Thanks gunslinger.
I still haven’t decided where everything will go but i'm kinda thinking of doing something to strap the battery to the top inside the front hull.

Smallmouth I haven't seen any comparisons on it either but would be interested in that myself. I feel like an arm would just be something to get in the way while fishing but would go that way if it makes enough of a difference.

Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi 4 weeks 13 minutes ago #5

• seang
  • -10 Posts!
  • NOW ONLINE
knowing a little about ultrasound, through the hull shouldn't be an issue at all as long as the the medium used to connect to the hull has 0 air bubbles in it.
I have the same unit, and plan on mounting it under the yak in the transducer recess if its large enough.
My yak is on preorder, (should be here in a couple weeks) and the wife says i cannot open the garmin until my birthday, also in a couple weeks. lol

Re:Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi 2 weeks 20 hours ago #6

• Russellville, arkansas
  • aeds151
  • 250+ Posts!
I mounted garmin striker 4cv in my yak last season. So sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi 1 week 5 days ago #7

I have that unit mounted inside hull w/ goop marine silicone, worked great also the temp feature did not seem to be effected at all. Got a new yak with outside hull mounting area removed inside mount in old yak (used putty knife to cut/pry loose) cleaned silicone off, lightly sanded w/fine sandpaper. Works just as good as before.

Re:Looking at a Garmin striker 4cv. Still have questi 6 days 19 hours ago #8

• Russellville, arkansas
  • aeds151
  • 250+ Posts!
Gonna mount the transducer on the prop to see if its better than through hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?