Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Fishing Line Choices

Fishing Line Choices 4 weeks 10 hours ago #1

• PianoAl
  • 10+ Posts!
For years, I've been using 4-lb monofilament for fishing for trout. My thinking was that the thin line was less visible to the fish.

I've recently switched to 6-lb braided (less twist, memory, better casting,more sensitive), and I've used 4-lb test for the leader.

Besides being more likely to break, the 4-lb stuff is a bother to tie knots with (especially with my old eyes).

I realized that I could use stronger (and thicker) fluorocarbon line instead. Does that sound like a good idea? What strength would you recommend?

I fish in lakes, catching fish like these:

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fishing Line Choices 4 weeks 6 hours ago #2

• Racerx
  • 50+ Posts!
I would try a flouro leader. It doesn't show up under water like mono, and, depending on your presentation choices, doesn't float like mono. Only time I use mono leaders, these days, is when using topwater lures.

Fishing Line Choices 4 weeks 4 hours ago #3

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
I use P-Line fluorocarbon (full spool) in both 4lb and 6lb on a couple of my most used spinning reels. I never got into the braided thing (except the old braided "cod line" that would swear anyone off for life).

Seaguar 10# and 12# fluorocarbon on a heavier spinning and my bait-casting reel (also full spool). Works great for what I need.

In fact, I'm using P-line 4 lb fluoro. as tippet for my Tenkara fly rod. 0.0072" is between a 4X and a 5X.

I like the stuff.
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Last Edit: 4 weeks 4 hours ago by Stumpkiller.

Fishing Line Choices 3 weeks 5 days ago #4

• Saint Marys, GA
  • daiwanut
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • Photographer2012 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2015 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter ArbiterGreen Skull
If you are going to use a leader, I would recommend fluoro also.

Fishing Line Choices 3 weeks 1 day ago #5

• Apopka, Florida, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Go with Flouro.

Fishing Line Choices 3 weeks 13 hours ago #6

• PianoAl
  • 10+ Posts!
Yesterday I had one fish break off the braided 6-lb test, and another break the 8-lb fluoro.

It's funny. the fluoro broke off at the knot, but not in the knot. That is, the knot was still there, but the loop through the hook had parted. It was a double-Davy knot.

I guess there's no reason not to go with stronger braid, such as 20-lb.

Fishing Line Choices 3 weeks 5 hours ago #7

• Indiana
  • KayaKeith
  • 10+ Posts!
I started using braid with a fluorocarbon leader initially for inshore saltwater fishing. It allows you to use bass sized equipment for huge fish. I gradually switched over all my reels because I have yet to see a downside. It casts great, tangles less (line twist is not an issue), and I rarely lose fish or expensive lures.

Sniper FC is relatively expensive but a spool will make so many leaders that it's cost effective. I also had good luck with the much cheaper Vicious line.

You can definitely go heavier with a fluorocarbon leader than you would with normal mono, without spooking fish, but remember that stiffer line can hamper lure action. I use a loop knot (the one recommended by Rapala) to let my lures move as freely as possible.

I mostly fish for bass, and mostly use 15-20# braid tied to 12-16# fluorocarbon.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?