Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Which kayak to choose?

Which kayak to choose? 2 months 6 days ago #1

I am looking to buy a sit on top kayak for under $1000. I would mainly be using it to fish out of, but I travel a lot and would love to try it out on some whitewater as well. I know I'm trying to blend two kayaks into one, but has anyone had any experience with this? Or have any advice?

I have done hours upon hours of research on this. So far, my favorite is the 10.5" Kaku Wahoo. Any comments are greatly appreciated!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Which kayak to choose? 2 months 6 days ago #2

• Indiana
  • KayaKeith
  • 10+ Posts!
The Wahoo looks like it's laid out pretty well for fishing but I don't think any sit on top kayak is going to be even decent on whitewater.

If you're dead set on tackling whitewater with a sit on top, you should probably eliminate any boat with an elevated seat. You'll need your center of gravity as low as possible.

I would just scour Craig's List for a cheap used fishing kayak and a cheap whitewater boat. You might be able to get both without breaking the bank.

This isn't the greatest place to get whitewater information...maybe a site that focuses more on padding than fishing would help you more. Possibly paddling.net.
The following user(s) said Thank You: barcelonar

Which kayak to choose? 2 months 6 days ago #3

Thanks, I already posted there as well. Just seeing what the fishing experts have to say!

Which kayak to choose? 1 month 1 week ago #4

• Hampton, Connecticut, USA
  • KayakFisher1967
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2012 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter
I'm gonna agree with KayaKeith on this one. SOT kayaks just aren't designed for whitewater use. Lakes, Ponds, and some Inshore Saltwater use, but that's about it. While Craigslist may have some fishing kayaks for sale
, I have found that "Facebook Marketplace" may have some kayaks for sale in your local area. But, you gotta jump on that ad as soon as you see it, otherwise your potential "dream kayak" will be sold before you know it.

I recently came across a used Moken 14 at our kayak fishing club's annual "meet & greet". another member of our group had hurt his shoulder and was looking to sell his kayak. I did a quick glance and looked it over and noticed the top of the hull had structure cracks at the front & back of the gear tracks. He said he would sell it to me for $500. A damaged kayak became an easy sale for me because I was able to weld the cracks shut.

20170916_121912.jpg

20170921_150131.jpg

20170925_190039.jpg

Sometimes, you might be able to fix a damaged kayak with a plastic welder. Harbor Freight has an 80 watt plastic welder for $17. That's the one I have and I use it a lot. I specifically look for damaged kayaks like the one above, and talk the owner down on the price. $500 was more than fair considering he paid well over $1400+ for that kayak. Something to look at when you're in the market for getting a used kayak.

- Jeff
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by KayakFisher1967.

Which kayak to choose? 1 month 1 week ago #5

• Racerx
  • 50+ Posts!
I have the Kaku Wahoo 12.5 and love it. It's handled all sorts of boat wake, even from barges at close range, and never left me feeling that I may tip over. That said, I agree with others' comments about a sit on top and white water. If it's nothing crazy, I know I've seen some guys like Robert Field and Drew Gregory navigate some, but it wasn't too crazy, and I know at least someone in their party went for a swim in their SOT.

Which kayak to choose? 1 month 1 week ago #6

• dajeanpi
  • -10 Posts!
Hey Kayakers, if you have a minute, help out by filling out my quick google survey on a concept Kayak Transport Device! All responses are much appreciated :up: Google survey link: goo.gl/forms/4E8Wd7Mk9nDqptPr1

Which kayak to choose? 1 month 5 days ago #7

Kaku Wahoo 10.5' kayak is a River Monster and unbelievably stable as it handles the full force of water and rocks really well. I love it's design and the bottom hull doesn't get dented that easy. I will recommend it for sure. Even i prefer sit-on-top kayak when it comes to kayaking for real.

Which kayak to choose? 2 weeks 16 hours ago #8

I also hear The Wahoo looks is preety good to use for kayak, So you can try this one.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?