Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler

TOPIC: Native Ultimate

Native Ultimate 1 month 16 hours ago #1

• Indiana
  • KayaKeith
  • 10+ Posts!
The Native Ultimate seems to me like it has a lot of virtues as a fishing boat but doesn't seem to be nearly as popular among people posting on this board as it should be.

I have never paddled one, but I have thought for a while that I might eventually get one.

From what I understand, it's the lightest and one of the cheaper yaks that you can stand in. The seat isn't fancy, but it is elevated and, reportedly, fairly comfortable. It's available in popular hulls lengths. The longer size easily converts between tandem and single seating while the shorter size should be more maneuverable and easier to cartop.

The only real shortcoming I see is that you wouldn't want to fish water rough enough that waves crash over the sides, because it's not self bailing.

Am I missing something?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Native Ultimate 1 month 13 hours ago #2

• North Ft. Myers
  • sailor144
  • 10+ Posts!
Keith,
The Native Ultimate is a great fishing platform, had one(14.5), for about 4 years, and other than water from paddle drips, never had an issue. I fish inshore however. It is not a good offshore boat. I always carried a bilge pump, and if you wanted, there is plenty of room to add flotation bags. You can cut down on spray, by getting the bow skirt. It has a lot of potential as a stand up fishing platform, but hull shape inside may affect your feet. Later models fixed that a bit. At the end, I had installed a Standnfish system on it, which was great. Wish I had never sold it.

Last Edit: 1 month 13 hours ago by sailor144.

Native Ultimate 1 month 12 hours ago #3

• Indiana
  • KayaKeith
  • 10+ Posts!
That sounds like a pretty strong endorsement. I love inshore fishing but I live in Indiana so inshore fishing is just a special treat. Mostly I fish smaller rivers, strip pits, and lakes. Offshore shortcomings don't concern me at all.

Native Ultimate 1 month 2 hours ago #4

• Upstate NY
  • Stumpkiller
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler Supporter
KayaKeith wrote:
The only real shortcoming I see is that you wouldn't want to fish water rough enough that waves crash over the sides, because it's not self bailing.

Am I missing something?

Lighten ship and dump all that Erector Set broo-ha-ha and add a $60 apron and it will shed the "crashing waves". ;-)
Charlie P.

Perception Sport Sound 12.5

Native Ultimate 4 weeks 16 hours ago #5

• walton, Kentucky, United States
  • inrll
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I have had one for 6 years. Your assessment is dead on.

Its very "standable" because of the hull design and because your feet are actually below the water line so that slightly lower center of gravity makes a huge difference. Of course as with any kayak your height and weight make a big difference in standing stability.

For me one of the best things about it is the ability to just throw your stuff in and go. I don't know your level of experience but in a sit on top there sort of has to be a place for everything. The Ultimate is a clean slate, I throw my tackle bag in the floor in front of me, my rods laying down in the back and thats it, super simple.

As to why the Ultimate isn't popular (it was when it came out 9 years ago) anymore, I think there's a few reasons.

One reason is that the original Ultimate is a 9 year old design and to be honest its just human nature to want the latest and greatest. The Ultimate is a basic, comfortable, utilitarian boat and nothing more.

I think most people would like to have a kayak that will come as close to serving all their needs as possible. If big water is part of what you fish from time to time then a SOT my be better suited. So SOT's have become sort of the standard for kayak fishermen.

Lastly, with the popularity of kayak tournaments growing as much as it has I think pedal kayaks have become much more common which obviously the Ultimate is not. So even though it is one of the best kayaks out there for me and some of the places I fish, its just not for everybody.
Last Edit: 4 weeks 16 hours ago by inrll.

Native Ultimate 3 weeks 6 days ago #6

• Des Moines, IA, USA
  • DRH2O
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalProficient YakAngler
One of my main fishing partners has an Ultimate. It doesn't have quite the storage that my Kilroy does but it's WAY lighter and easier to get up and down some of the brushy, muddy, embankments that we like to call 'access points.' It's also proved to be much more durable than my Kilroy. His yak is older than mine and the hull still has it's original shape, my Kilroy started oil-canning by the second season I had it.

We fish creeks, rivers and lakes. The only negative in comparison, apart from the fact that mine is more roomy, is that the Ultimate isn't as fast. It almost never factors in on our waters but we took a trip down to Watt's Bar and had to paddle quite a ways from the ramp to where we were fishing and in that instance he was lagging far behind and struggling to keep up, where I was keeping up with the Hobie guys without much trouble.

~Denny

Native Ultimate 3 weeks 2 days ago #7

• Kentucky
  • John88
  • 10+ Posts!
I fish from an ultimate. Bought used. Since I grew up in a canoe I find it's a nice cross between a canoe and kayak. It has plenty of storage for my needs and paddles pretty fast on flat water. I can stand up but don't very often. I took several old tree stand cushions and fastened them together and use them to elevate the seat 7 or 8 inches. I think mines a 2011 model and the shape/hull are still in great condition. The seat is comfortable too.

Native Ultimate 3 weeks 1 day ago #8

• Bardstown, Kentucky, USA
  • CentKyPaddler
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I have the Tandem FX15. I really like the canoe aspects blended with the sleek kayak dimensions. It is very stable and glides through the water with ease. Most often if paddling with others I have to slow my roll in order to not leave everyone behind. I have gotten caught out in some rough waters before that I would not want to use a sit inside on but this boat fits the bill on slow moving rivers going camping or when my wife wants to go. Some of the places I frequent it is easier to get my Ultimate in than my Slayer Propel due to weight constraints. The seats are comfy and some of the better seats I have sit in personally. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Native Slayer Propel 13
Native Ultimate FX 15 Tandem
Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by CentKyPaddler.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?