Username: Password: Remember me
Water Cooler
  • Page:

TOPIC: Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy)

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #1

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
Wow! What a year this has been. This past summer was my second with kayak fishing and it had been an amazing year, mainly thanks to YakAngler! Before I even talk about kayaking I want to thank YA for introducing me to some great people and making some good friends. Because of a post made early in 2013 I was offered to write a review for Bullfrog Baits which ended up with me joining their Pro Staff. Another post let me review some sweet custom painted crank baits by Beaver Creek custom lures. I'm not trying to push them, but wanted to share that I never would have had this chance without YakAngler. Also, I was invited to be a Mod here and help organize and run the YA Tournament Sponsorship Program. With this I got to be good friends with StandingYak.

Ok, kayaking time. I started out this year with me using my first kayak, an Old Town Sit In and had some great adventures.

image_2013-12-23.jpg

Then I heard about the Bluegrass YakMasters Open and since it fell over my Spring Break I had to go. Thanks to YakAngler, Adam, YakSushi, and especially CoachJoe for loaning and bringing me a yak to use for the tournament and got me hooked on the Jackson Cuda. Because of this Joe and I are good friends, and I found out his daughter is an amazing fisher girl!

image_2013-12-23-2.jpg

After the tournament my goals was to get a new kayak. I started doing research and decided that Ir rally liked the Cuda and needed one. After saving up and my wife generously allowing me I picked up my new toy, a Jackson Cuda 12, on July 3rd. With this purchase came my first kayak fishing trip, well second after the tournament. Because of YakAngler I met up with troybanshee and did some camping and fishing then headed to Louisville where Joe showed me some sweet fishing spots and put me on some big fish!

image_2013-12-23-3.jpg

Now that I had two kayaks I was able to loan my other kayak out to get folks hooked on this great addiction. First, my brother in law. After just two trips he was hooked and bought a yak. Second, a friend from college tried it and was hooked. After just one trip he is now searching for his first yak. Third, well introduced it to him and not sure if he is addicted yet, the friend who got me back into fishing after a many years hiatus.

image_2013-12-23-4.jpg

image_2013-12-23-5.jpg

image_2013-12-23-6.jpg

After this and finding some new spots was the biggest road trip I have ever taken since I could drive, the BOONDOGGLE! My brother in law and I loaded up our yaks and drove 2200 miles round trip to camp out with Joe, his family, and everyone else at the Perdido Key Boondoggle. My first experience on saltwater and what an amazing trip. Met some great new friends, got addicted to fly fishing, and caught some pin fish, lizard fish, croakers, some trout, a robin fish, a redfish, and a 24" flounder! I only wish I could make the Feb. Boondoggle but looks like I'll have to wait till October.

image_2013-12-23-7.jpg

image_2013-12-23-8.jpg

When I returned from the Boondoggle school was in full force and my kayak fishing time was limited. I concentrated on getting my addiction set up, fly fishing! StandingYak helped set me up with rods and gear and jezduet sent me some flies he tied! Although the weather was cooling down fast I was still able to get out a couple more times. Sadly my trips were limited but I was extremely lucky and was able to find some open water on Dec. 20th and did some fishing! The latest I have ever fished in the year!

Looking back on this year it has been absolutely amazing. I am very blessed and extremely thankful to YakAngler and everyone here. Many of these amazing experiences would never of happened without you, so THANK YOU!!!!

I can't wait to see what new things 2014 brings. Until then, may you all have a safe and wonderful Christmas and New Year! May you have an amazing 2014!
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kayakjak, Irish Fly, FLfishR, Angler Jon, mefred, FLNavyVet

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #2

• Gretna, Nebraska, USA
  • Irish Fly
  • 500+ Posts!
  • AuthorPhotographer2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter SeekerReviewer
Mr. Jones - thanks for sharing all the great pics & a wonderful story. Best of luck in 2014!!!
I love hearing my son say "Fish On"!
WS Ride 115
NEBRASKAYAK ANGLER
The following user(s) said Thank You: smj190, mefred

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #3

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
24" Flounder

image_2013-12-23-9.jpg

Some other fun pics from this year.

image_2013-12-23-10.jpg

image_2013-12-23-11.jpg

image_2013-12-23-12.jpg

image_2013-12-23-13.jpg

image_2013-12-23-14.jpg

image_2013-12-23-15.jpg

I somehow forgot to mention that I fished Lake Michigan for the first time. Sadly, no Salmon wanted to come out and play, but what an awesome experience!

image_2013-12-23-16.jpg

I apologize if I forgot to mention all of you in here. I have meet so many wonderful folks, I can't name you all! Thank you for everything!!!
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by smj190.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wolfewiz, KayakFisher1967, FLfishR, Angler Jon, mefred

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #4

• Bluffton, Indiana, USA
  • aceflier
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTravelerNovice YakAngler
Looks like a great year. And good on ya for getting some others into the addiction. Nice pics!

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #5

• Zebulon, Georgia, USA
  • brokedaddydave
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2016Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 2015 YakAngler SupporterLifetime YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Ambassador Medal2014 YakAngler Supporter Traveler
A very cool year full of great experiences, Congrats!
David

Jackson Cuda 12

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #6

• Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA
  • Plastic Pirate
  • 50+ Posts!
Very Nice!

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #7

• Huntington, Indiana, USA
  • IndianaYakFish
  • 800+ Posts!
  • YakAngler Pro Team2014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerReviewerNovice YakAngler
Fantastic write up and great pics Spencer! Very nicely done. Looking forward to all of your adventures in 2014.
-Jameson

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #8

• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
  • coastal_dan
  • 50+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter
Thanks for sharing and good luck in the up coming 2014!
Hobie Outback

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #9

• Mineral, Virginia, USA
  • Capt Gary
  • 50+ Posts!
Nice post. Appreciate the sharing.

Smj190 2013 review (pic heavy) 5 years 6 months ago #10

• Nicholasville, Kentucky, USA
  • wolfewiz
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador Medal
Great year !
Hobie PA14
Bourbon Pro Staffer

• Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?