Sat, Nov 01, 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: Jackson Coosa vs. Wilderness Tarpon 120

Jackson Coosa vs. Wilderness Tarpon 120 3 years 5 months ago #1

• mberger
  • -10 Posts!
The other day, I demo'd both of these, courtesy of the local outdoors shop's demo day. The Coosa is billed as a "river" boat. Does that preclude its use in lakes, or even in the Gulf?
Any impressions of one over the other?
Thanks,
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Jackson Coosa vs. Wilderness Tarpon 120 3 years 5 months ago #2

• virginia beach, Virginia,
  • landingcrew
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador MedalPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterSeeker
let me just say this, i have not paddled the coosa yet, so on that end i can't help you but i know for a fact that my next boat is gonna be the tarpon 140, and i fish rivers, lakes, bays and open ocean alot. hope that helps ya. and to play devils advocated you have to really take a closer look at which one you feel the most comfortable in in any of your situations. just some food for thought, and great question too, good to see your wieghing your options after yoiu paddled them around some!!:bravo:

Re: Jackson Coosa vs. Wilderness Tarpon 120 3 years 5 months ago #3

• walton, Kentucky, United States
  • inrll
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I think you just have to ask yourself where you fish atleast 51% of the time? If its open water like lakes and the gulf then the Coosa may be a little too slow for you. Its very stable but you trade off speed for that stability.

Re: Jackson Coosa vs. Wilderness Tarpon 120 3 years 5 months ago #4

• Sarasota, Florida, United States
  • shallow pockets
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Ambassador MedalYakAngler Guide
I just got my Coosa. I have not paddle it yet. I will ley you know what I think. If I was only going to have one kayak I dont think I would choose the Coosa. To me the Coosa looks like its going to be a fun kayak for fly fishing local ponds, short paddles on the bay and fishing the Myakka River where the current will do most of the work. I will try it in the gulf for Tarpon as well. It will not be my go to tournament kayak. I will use my U-14.5 most of the time.

Re: Jackson Coosa vs. Wilderness Tarpon 120 3 years 5 months ago #5

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • coachjoe
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamExpert YakAngler
If most of your time will be spent on the creeks and rivers the Coosa will be tough to beat. On open water the wind and speed are issues. I love my Coosa, but most of my time will be spent in moving water. I do fish the Coosa on smaller lakes, but will just use the sink if I go to bigger lakes were I need more speed or the wind will be an issue.
Team NuCanoe

Re: Jackson Coosa vs. Wilderness Tarpon 120 3 years 5 months ago #6

• mberger
  • -10 Posts!
In addition, what would I lose by going with an Ascend FS12T? I know that you get what you pay for, but there's quite a price difference.

Re: Jackson Coosa vs. Wilderness Tarpon 120 3 years 5 months ago #7

• soccerdad
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPresidents Day Boondoggle 20122010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler Supporter2012 YakAngler Supporter
I have never paddled an Ascend 12 but several of the guys on the Georgia site have them and really like them. Always paddle first !!

I have paddled a Coosa and would never buy one -- not a knock on the boat, just not suited to how I fish -- far prefer my OK Caper (in smaller, flatter water) or my OK Drifter (in bigger, swifter, choppier water).

Of the boats mentioned, the Wildy's would be superior but that is just my opinion. And I an only a pro beer drinker ... not a pro nuttin' else :-)
Moderators: smj190, Aggroman
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?