Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum

Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum 1 month 2 weeks ago #1

• USA
  • DexterMorgan
  • -10 Posts!
New to this forum and in the market for a new kayak. Currently I go out with a buddy of mine who has a canoe with a small trolling motor, but running the canoe is difficult by yourself and our work schedules don't always line up as much as we would like. Right now I'm kinda honed in on the Lifetime Tamarack Angler. Anyone had any experience with one? I like them because they seem stable enough to stand up on which is something I'm really looking for in a kayak, they also seem manageable enough that you can load it on your own. Not too many bells and whistles which I like, you can more or less customize it to your needs. Another buddy of mine has a Tarpon 160, Its nice I don't like the cost and its next to impossible for him to load on his own. He absolutely cannot stand on it either.I am starting from scratch on this project, looking for the easiest, best, reasonably priced way to get out there for a day of catching fish. All opinions are welcome.Another note, anyone have experience with Bass Yaks? I like the idea.
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sara08

Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum 1 month 2 weeks ago #2

• reydevis
  • -10 Posts!
I can say only about mine kayak. Maybe it will help you...
Mine is Intex Challenger K2

It's pros:
Easy for other boaters to spot in the water
UV surface protections and vinyl composition
Fits up to two people comfortably
Comes with a patch repair kit

It's cons:
Sligtly less storage room that the k1
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by reydevis.

Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum 1 month 1 week ago #3

• sara08
  • -10 Posts!
If you are new in that area, then the best choise and expireince will come with time, try, keep doing and you will understand with time what you need

Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum 4 weeks 2 days ago #4

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
Whatever you buy, make sure to demo it first. Seen way too many people buy a kayak and not like it and loss money when they sell it.

Re:Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum 3 weeks 5 days ago #5

• pcolapaddler
  • -10 Posts!
I have had a Tarpon 160i for several years. It is a fast boat and tracks well. No way would I try to stand in it. I have fished inshore, in the Gulf as well as rivers and creeks. It is a good fishing yak. If I had the option and was going to drift in rivers and other areas with current, I think I would get a rudder.

I used to load it alone on top of a Ford Explorer. That was many years ago. I could probably still do it, but..

I recently acquired a 14 pro angler and my wife is going to use the Tarpon.

I currently carry yaks in the 6' bed of a half ton truck using a bed extender. Pretty easy to load alone although I haven't used the pro angler very much yet.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Re:Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum 3 weeks 5 days ago #6

• pcolapaddler
  • -10 Posts!
I have had a Tarpon 160i for several years. It is a fast boat and tracks well. No way would I try to stand in it. I have fished inshore, in the Gulf as well as rivers and creeks. It is a good fishing yak. If I had the option and was going to drift in rivers and other areas with current, I think I would get a rudder.

I used to load it alone on top of a Ford Explorer. That was many years ago. I could probably still do it, but..

I currently carry yaks in the 6' bed of a half ton truck using a bed extender. Pretty easy to load alone although I haven't used the pro angler very much yet.

Re:Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum 3 weeks 5 days ago #7

• pcolapaddler
  • -10 Posts!

Re:Looking for Kayak advice, new to the forum 2 weeks 5 days ago #8

• bday68
  • -10 Posts!
I have a Lifetime Tamarack Angler, I have only used it to fish a few small lakes in my area. I like it but would not try standing in mine. Especially since I'm pushing the weight limit. I have made removable stabilizers but found the get in the way when fishing tight areas. overall I do like mine. It tracks good and moves out nice in the water. All the research I did prior to my purchase, this is supposed to be a good starter. welcome to yak angling!!
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?