Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: Newbie - Help Me Decide Please

Newbie - Help Me Decide Please 1 month 3 weeks ago #1

• bburdette
  • -10 Posts!
Hi
I am new to kayak fishing and I'm looking to purchase an affordable kayak. I am considering the Pelican Catch 120 or the Field and Stream Shadow caster. I like both of them but undecided about which one to buy. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Newbie - Help Me Decide Please 1 month 3 weeks ago #2

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I really like the Catch series. I just bought the Catch 100 but have not had it in the water yet.

Newbie - Help Me Decide Please 1 month 3 weeks ago #3

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
If possible demo. You can also find some nice yaks on craigslist.

Newbie - Help Me Decide Please 1 month 6 days ago #4

bburdette wrote:
Hi
I am new to kayak fishing and I'm looking to purchase an affordable kayak. I am considering the Pelican Catch 120 or the Field and Stream Shadow caster. I like both of them but undecided about which one to buy. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

You need to think about what you need from the Kayak, how are you gonna take it from home to the water, how much weight you're gonna put on it, what kind of water you are gonna be fishing, etc...

I suggest you stay away from field and stream. They make good boats, but the accessories are cheap and you will replace them, and worst of all, their customer service is horrible. They sell you the boat, and then you are on your own. I owned a field and stream yak for a long time, I lost the front hatch rubber piece and they would not replace it or sell me a new one, there is also very little if any third party support for field and stream kayaks. Again, they are not bad boats, but there are many brands out there nowadays that are way better and not expensive.

Are you gonna be paddling long distances? flat water? do you wanna be on the move or work one place for a long time? are you planning on carrying your yak on the roof or on a trailer? etc... etc...

Most modern kayaks out there are very heavy, somewhat flat, and a BIG pain to paddle. If you want to fish from a standing position then know that you will need a relatively heavy, flat, and wide kayak that is very stable on flat water and you will be giving up paddling performance.

If you want a good all round kayak for a good price, go with the perception Pescador pro.
If you want a great performing kayak to paddle long distances and/or choppy waters, go with an ocean kayak. The prowler 13 is extremely light and the best performing kayak I've tried so far for fishing, it comes almost naked and you will have to install things that you like, but hey, you are being sold by the quality of the boat and not all the fancy gadgets. And believe me, paddling a 70~90 lb boat for 5 hours over long distances becomes a pain. The prowler is long, only weighs 56lbs, and makes paddling actually enjoyable. ocean kayak big game II is a little heavier, comes with more toys and is more stable on flat water.

I am biased towards ocean kayaks because I've been paddling for recreational purposes since I was a kid, and the ocean kayaks feel like real kayaks. But if you are new to paddling, you won't get the best out of an OK.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?