Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers

Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers 6 months 1 hour ago #1

• johnnh
  • -10 Posts!
I have been going on-line, watching you tube, reading reviews, going to local ponds/lakes and talking to anglers.
My goal is to purchase a good quality sit on top Kayak for fishing. I have narrowed my search to the Wilderness Radar 115 or 135
The ability to use a pedal drive that can easily pop up to avoid destroying the drive in shallow water is attractive.
We have very rocky shorelines and rock piles (humps) everywhere in NH waters so the ease of getting the drive out of harms way is imortantant

I have many years of experience in bass fishing on the tournament circuits in the Northeast and I am looking forward to the ability to get into all of those places we could never get into with 20+ foot bass boats. I no longer have a Bass boat and its time for a new adventure.

Please let me know what your opinions are for a decent Fishing Kayak
Thanks
John
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers 5 months 4 weeks ago #2

• Wisconsin
  • Clay
  • 250+ Posts!
Welcome to the board John, look forward to reading some of your advice on fishing techniques that have worked for you.

I think that you are on a good track in finding a boat by a reputable manufacturer and in finding a boat that you can stand and pitch a jig if you so choose to. No matter what they say about kayaks that you can stand in, none of them will be like standing on the deck of a 20' bass boat, but it's still nice to have the ability to stretch your legs and do a better job of sight fishing out of the boat.

My best advice is to narrow down the kayaks to a couple two or three boats, then GO Paddle them. Don't skimp on a paddle, it's not a 300 hp outboard, but it is your only connection to the water besides the boat itself.

Don't be in a rush to buy a boat, it's not a race. Take your time and make a decision that you can live with for a little while.

Good luck.
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Re:Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers 5 months 4 weeks ago #3

• Max1775
  • 10+ Posts!
I'd give Bonafide a try. I absolutely love my SS107

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers 5 months 2 weeks ago #4

• Indiana
  • KayaKeith
  • 10+ Posts!
Nothing against Wilderness Systems but I wouldn’t narrow down my search so quickly. There are so many good choices available right now and more are coming. It’s a great time to get into the sport!

Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers 5 months 1 week ago #5

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
My advice is demo, demo, demo.

Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers 1 month 3 weeks ago #6

• London Ontario Canada
  • riversmallie
  • 10+ Posts!
I am looking for a pedal yak to.Bin researching for quite a while and will continue as winter is here. The radar 115 was my first choice , some people are having problems with the gears chipping as i found out on the facebook owners group for the 115/135 not sure if its b/c they pushing to hard or what but anyway i find wilderness to be over priced where i am over 3 grand for the 115 pedal. But now i am really liking the old town topwater pdl its a nice looking yak and the fact that the hull has a life time warranty and the pedal drive has a 5 year warranty just makes it all more appealing to me , bin researching this yak on youtube and everywhere i can and hear nothing but good about it , and there pedal drive is also maintenace free which i dont have to mess around with it taking it apart/adding grease ect.I'm really liking this yak and will continue to research it , as the new year brings out more yaks i'll spend the winter researching those. My local dealer does have a topwater pdl on display so i am going to look at it december the 1st. Just to look at it is what i plan ....we'll see...lol Here is my current ride its a nucanoe flint which has bin awesome.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by riversmallie. Reason: picture

Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers 1 month 2 weeks ago #7

• Silverhill, Alabama, USA
  • basscatlildave
  • MOD Squad
  • YakAngler Mod2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPhotographerTravelerReviewerGreen Skull
I know this can turn into Ford VS Chevy but I love the Hobie drive. Being able to use it in really shallow water is a plus. :up:riversmallie wrote:
I am looking for a pedal yak to.Bin researching for quite a while and will continue as winter is here. The radar 115 was my first choice , some people are having problems with the gears chipping as i found out on the facebook owners group for the 115/135 not sure if its b/c they pushing to hard or what but anyway i find wilderness to be over priced where i am over 3 grand for the 115 pedal. But now i am really liking the old town topwater pdl its a nice looking yak and the fact that the hull has a life time warranty and the pedal drive has a 5 year warranty just makes it all more appealing to me , bin researching this yak on youtube and everywhere i can and hear nothing but good about it , and there pedal drive is also maintenace free which i dont have to mess around with it taking it apart/adding grease ect.I'm really liking this yak and will continue to research it , as the new year brings out more yaks i'll spend the winter researching those. My local dealer does have a topwater pdl on display so i am going to look at it december the 1st. Just to look at it is what i plan ....we'll see...lol Here is my current ride its a nucanoe flint which has bin awesome.

Need advice on best Kayak for fishing Lakes/Rivers 1 month 1 week ago #8

• London Ontario Canada
  • riversmallie
  • 10+ Posts!
Yes funny you mention hobie upon further researching the compass has caught my attention , i go from deep water to shallow rivers so the compass looks like a good all around pedal yak to me , but the price aint so great around $2500 or so , prob closer to 3 by the time you add shipping taxes ect. With that being said pelican has the 130 coming out in jan but they also plan on dropping the pedals in there other models as well , so if they drop them in the catch 100 that will be good enough for me..lol Better price ect for canada. The fin style pedals seem to be a better option for me and you can get almost a zero draft to. Gonna have to wait and see what the new year brings. I do like the top water pdl but just wouldn't be suitable for the rivers i go in , not sure if that is a yak that i would want to paddle being 36'' wide , it's also priced about the same as the compass [canada] anyway its winter here no big hurry...lol
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by riversmallie. Reason: picture
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?