Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: Completely done with Jackson

Completely done with Jackson 1 month 6 days ago #1

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
Buying a kayak should be a magical experience, like getting a new pair of shoes, or booking a vacation. Mine was anything but that.

As a preface, let me say that I bought a Jackson Kraken 13.5 barely used and loved the boat, so much so that I decided to buy another kayak for my girlfriend. After some input from her, and advice from others, I settled on a new Jackson Kilroy LT.

I ordered the kayak online, as my nearest dealer is quite a drive from my home, and for $99 shipping to my front door, I considered that a bargain. Along with the kayak of course, I ordered the usual multiple accessories and a storage rack. I was told estimated delivery was in 3-4 weeks...FOUR SEPARATE TIMES.

Each time after the allotted time period had expired, I received a new story by a new person. Only "special" people at Jackson make the LT models...those same "special" people are the same ones that make the pedal boats, and are tied up...they're out of the color ABS plastic I want, the molds aren't set up just yet...etc, etc. In my opinion, if the LT models prove to be so difficult for them to make, they should stick to the rotomolded boats, and pump out those pedal drives to make their buck there rather than making others wait while offering excuse after excuse.

Finally, I blew my top and told the dealer to cancel the entire darn order, and relate my anger and frustration to Jackson directly. As though I had waved a wand, I receive a call back from them within 10 minutes that Jackson will make the boat the following week, and ship thereafter. Reluctantly, I agreed to keep the order in place.

I was quite surprised also at the removal of many accessories that those that bought the boat ONE year earlier received, yet were not included with the new 2018 boats. The Sealine Bag, Thermarest, Fish Grips, and Line Cutter were no longer standard with any of their boats, but the prices remained the same. The dealer did make up for this by supplying the Thermarest and Sealine Bag at no charge, and the other fluff I really didn't care for anyhow.

This dealer, which I should call out, does NOT e-mail an invoice for well over $2000 of plastic, NO tracking number for accessories was EVER supplied, NO order number, confirmation, or anything of the like. Those things must be DEMANDED. VERY poor business practice. When I called them, it was always a new person, and always a new story, and always confusion over what I had ordered. I suspected the order was written in crayon on a bar napkin. Although always apologetic and they did try to make things right, I will not order from them again simply due to unprofessional business practices.

I did get my accessories, and they DID get the order correct, although I'm still waiting on the kayak stand which is drop shipped. I finally receive the kayak, and JACKSON of ALL people, doesn't have any RAM ball mounts and is one rod holder short. They give coupon vouchers to go to their online store to redeem for the missing products. Only the voucher gives one a rod holder without the ball mount! Frustrated, I called the dealer again, who is shipping the missing parts. Cripes, the local hardware carries ball mounts..one would think Jackson did. Something, and something not good, is going on at that place.

After going back and forth with e-mails, phone calls, and then getting a kayak that is renowned for being "fish ready", my experience has been less than amusing. After these kayaks have fulfilled their fishing lives, I will be selecting another brand, not because of the boat's quality, but by the way their dealers and the manufacturing plant are operated.

Sorry for the rant; I don't want to be that guy, but only when backed in a corner snarling and threatening a dollar bill with wings was any action taken by Jackson.
Last Edit: 1 month 6 days ago by cmonkey.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Completely done with Jackson 1 month 5 days ago #2

• Sarasota, FL
  • Bullfrog
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter
I'm sorry to hear about all your problems and I hope this is just a one time thing or growing pains, expansion problems, etc. I've had very good experiences dealing with Jackson factory people and they were very responsive to my concerns.

Now that you finally have your new Yak I hope your luck will change and you can enjoy years of fishing success.

Bullfrog
Faith, Family, Fishing

Cuda 12, Forest Camo

Completely done with Jackson 1 month 4 days ago #3

• North Carolina
  • Fly2bTied
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2015 YakAngler Supporter
Sorry to hear of your troubles with Jackson. I have owned many kayaks and my favorite to date is my new Kilroy LT in the Sage color. I love how light and stable it is and I can easily carry it on my shoulder. Hopefully you will like your's a lot as well and be able to put this mess behind you.
2017 Jackson Kilroy LT

Re:Completely done with Jackson 4 weeks 2 days ago #4

• Russellville, arkansas
  • aeds151
  • 250+ Posts!
Was Mike Luzansky involved in this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely done with Jackson 4 weeks 2 days ago #5

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
Well, I will add to the story.

Got accessories from said dealer, but mail lady only wants to only give me one package, yet I can see the other is clearly a paddle bound in bubble wrap. I tell her that most likely is my package too. No, she claims, it has a different address on it. Upon closer inspection, the package has my name on it, but a different address, so she gives it to me. Screwups can't label two packages the same.

Fast forward to yesterday. It's been well over a week, and still no kayak stand that was to be shipped direct from manufacturer, so I call the dealer. Get another pothead who "ummms" for a bit, says he can't find the order, then asks chief pothead what's up dude. Kahuna says it's backordered, man.

I hang up, but red flags are flying once again. So I call the manufacturer directly. A bright, helpful, and pleasant lady says they have oodles of the rack I want in stock, but no order has been placed for my name. So I have HER call the dealer, to place the order in reverse and make them look like the idiots they are.

They tried to call me back, but to be honest, I don't want to hear any excuses for out to lunch a second time, I was tired, I have child support payments, etc, etc.

Manufacturer sent an e-mail with a tracking number, something those other numbskulls could NEVER figure out. The manufacturer actually apologized that it might not be here by Memorial Day. What a difference between two companies.

I'm starting to wonder if I have blamed Jackson in error. The misfits at this dealer may have just sat on the order until I complained several times and actually ordered the boat, but I have no way of proving that.

The outfit is Delaware Paddle Sports. I've never had worse customer service, with no e-mails, order confirm or summary, or shipping notification with tracking. I've finally gotten everything I've wanted, but it sure has proven to be a hassle at this end. Had I not complained, none of it would have been shipped yet.
Buyer beware. I shan't be doing business there again.
Last Edit: 4 weeks 2 days ago by cmonkey.

Completely done with Jackson 3 weeks 6 days ago #6

• Sarasota, FL
  • Bullfrog
  • 250+ Posts!
You may want to contact Jackson directly to see what order dates they have for your yak and accessories. Some dealers have limited accounts or in bad standing with manufacturers, or have credit problems that would hold up an order.

Bullfrog
Faith, Family, Fishing

Cuda 12, Forest Camo

Completely done with Jackson 3 weeks 6 days ago #7

• North Ft. Myers
  • sailor144
  • 10+ Posts!
I've ordered and received two Jackson kayaks from Delaware Paddle Sports, and never had an issue. Not sure what happened there.

Completely done with Jackson 3 weeks 6 days ago #8

• Sarasota, FL
  • Bullfrog
  • 250+ Posts!
Well, best of luck with every thing and go catch some fish.

Bullfrog
Faith, Family, Fishing

Cuda 12, Forest Camo
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?