Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1st kayak

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #1

• Western Missouri
  • SacOsageAngler
  • -10 Posts!
First time poster here. Been kicking the idea around of buying my first kayak. I have been checking out the Tarpon 100 and the Pescador 100.

Not sure I need anything longer as the primary use for this boat would be on small rivers, streams and creeks. Rod and reel fishing for crapppie, walleye, white bass or any other hungry fish.

Wish I could find a shop that carries both models and could try them side by side.

Any other 10" kayaks I should be checking out??

Anybody had both of these and decide to keep one over the other?

Thanks for any advice.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #2

• Ridgecrest, California, USA
  • Kayak_angler
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalColumbus Day Boondoggle 2014 TravelerReviewer
:welcome: and the addiction!!!

Sorry I can't be of much use with regards to 10' kayaks but there are a number of folks on here that I'm sure will chime in and give you some great advice. It does help to have a local shop where you can demo the yaks you are interested in.

Good luck!!!
Save the earth. It's the only planet with kayaks, fish & chocolate!!!

2015 Jackson Coosa HD

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #3

• cmonkey
  • 10+ Posts!
You didn't state your dimensions but make sure you get something that holds your weight plus any accessories you intend to take along. Better than regretting it in the future.

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #4

• NW OHIO
  • jfynes
  • 50+ Posts!
I have a Jackson Cruise 10, like it very much, better than the 12' sit inside I had. The size was important to me because I rack my yak on my van roof. Anything longer or wider would be more difficult to load and unload. So unless you are going to trailer yours, keep weight and length in mind.
Work.Less.Fish.More.

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #5

• Bridgeport, West Virginia, USA
  • Troutbum
  • 50+ Posts!
I have a Tarpon 100 that I bought used a few years back. Very good first kayak. Light enough to handle and load by yourself. Not a good model to stand in.

After that I got a Feel Free Lure 10. Also a great fishing kayak. A bit heavier but not too bad.
Very stable for standing. Hate to see it go, but it's staying in the family.

The Lure has been replaced by a Native Slayer Propel 10. In fact, this is our second one. The pedal factor covers more water with less effort.

I still have the Tarpon as a back up or if someone else wants to go with us.

As you can see, there is a pattern developing here. I have stayed with 10 ft. kayaks for the lighter weight and ease of transport and storage.

Most folks will tell you longer is better for various reasons. Maybe this is true, but 10 ft. works for us for when loading, hauling and storing.

Try before you buy if you can, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Tarpon or the Pescador.

Good Luck!
Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100

(2) Native Slayer Propel 10's

Wilderness Systems Aspire 105

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #6

• Raleigh, NC
  • natsamjosh
  • 10+ Posts!
SacOsageAngler wrote:
First time poster here. Been kicking the idea around of buying my first kayak. I have been checking out the Tarpon 100 and the Pescador 100.

Not sure I need anything longer as the primary use for this boat would be on small rivers, streams and creeks. Rod and reel fishing for crapppie, walleye, white bass or any other hungry fish.

Wish I could find a shop that carries both models and could try them side by side.

Any other 10" kayaks I should be checking out??

Anybody had both of these and decide to keep one over the other?

Thanks for any advice.

I am also looking for my first kayak. Not sure if you have a max dollar value, but here are some I am considering:

-Pelican Catch 100
-FeelFree Lure 10
-Kaku Wahoo (10.5')
-NuCanoe Frontier 10
-Bonafide SS107 (10', 7" long, but still not available)

I am hoping to demo some of these models in the next few weeks!

Thanks,
Ed

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #7

• Birdsnest
  • 10+ Posts!
I have a Pescador Angler 10. The Pescador has treated me very well for fishing. Two flush mount rod holders and a Scotty rod holder all for less the $500.

I wish I had gone a bit bigger and will be upgrading in the spring. Don’t get me wrong I really enjoy the kayak and plan to keep it. I wish the weight capacity was higher. I am 270lbs the max capacity is 325lbs. I never realized how heavy my gear was. Lol... I stay pretty dry with just me, a couple rods and a few tackle trays. Nice and light for a short trip. When I load up a tackle box, a lunch, drinking water..... everything else for a longer trip, I get a wet butt.

There are 10 ft that have higher weight capacities (Is Slayer people 10= 400lb capacity). Depending on what you will be taking, just be sure to allow enough capacity for you AND your gear.

This all being said if you fish small waters, a 10ft will turn and move better in small waters.

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #8

• Western Missouri
  • SacOsageAngler
  • -10 Posts!
Thanks for the above replies.

Dimensions are 6' and 240sh.

Still finding other 10' models that catch my eye and 12' is an option as well as I am finding the capacity is a bit better.

Streams and rivers can vary in depth and conditions. One of the rivers we hit can be 20' in one spot and then be a foot or so just a mile or less away. No pedals will be a must as they wouldn't last long in some of the shallow swift spots.

As far as max $ I would like to stay under $1k and around $750 preferably so I can buy a few goodies.

Keep the replies and suggestions/options coming.
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by SacOsageAngler.

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #9

• Raleigh, NC
  • natsamjosh
  • 10+ Posts!
Two others I am considering that are under a grand:

- Pelican 120/120NXT
- NuCanoe Flint (11' 3")

Good luck.

Ed

1st kayak 1 year 1 month ago #10

• Birdsnest
  • 10+ Posts!
Check out the Vibe Sea Ghost 110 as well if you get a chance. It’s 11ft and those and the 13ft get pretty good reviews here.

Good enough that I’ll be checking out a 13 later this spring.

Try to hit up a demo day or rent the kayak for a few hours to test them out for yourself.
  • Page:
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?