Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: Paddles-Preferences

Paddles-Preferences 3 years 3 months ago #1

• robistro
  • 10+ Posts!
What type of paddle or paddle specs are good for kayak fishing? Ive also been reading where some people carry a short paddle when sitting in a spot fishing. Apparently its easier to back paddle or stay in position with a short paddle rather than have the long paddle sitting in your lap.

Any opinions from you kayak fishermen/women? Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Paddles-Preferences 3 years 3 months ago #2

• Mukwonago, Wisconsin, USA
  • onefastrph
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTravelerCritic
240cm Werner Shuna Hooked (high angle) paddle in my Cuda LT is perfect.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Chris

Hobie Outback Camo
Perception Sound 10.5

Re:Paddles-Preferences 3 years 3 months ago #3

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
I love my Bending Branches Angler Ace 240-260 adjustable length paddle. I have a small backwater paddle for small adjustments but don't really use it as the other one is more accessible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Re:Paddles-Preferences 3 years 3 months ago #4

• robistro
  • 10+ Posts!
Thanks, found a link that provides me with the info I was looking for. Just wanted input from kayak fishing on what type each preferred and if the 'backwater' paddle is really worth while.

Heres the link if anyone is interested. Not affiliated with REI, just found the link regarding paddle explanation.

www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/kayak-paddle.html
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by robistro.

Paddles-Preferences 10 months 1 week ago #5

Hey,
For taking a decision about the good type of paddle of kayak fishing, you need to know about the kayak length and your height. For people with less height, short paddle works great but a tall guy might miss the water with the same paddle. However, if you look for a paddle for consistent paddling that makes you less tired, low angle paddle is great. As your question seems to me general, I might miss your point; but, I am sure you will get your answer and some more information about your query following kayakfisherly.com/best-kayak-paddles/.
Spencer Henschk

Paddles-Preferences 10 months 5 days ago #6

• Huntington, Indiana, USA
  • IndianaYakFish
  • 800+ Posts!
  • YakAngler Pro Team2014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerReviewerNovice YakAngler
I've got the Bending Branches Angler Pro with the adjustable ferrule. I don't think you can go wrong with an adjustable paddle. I've actually got two of them...one camo version for duck hunting and one bright colored version for those days I'm fishing high traffic lakes. Over the years I've just learned to drop the paddle in my lap when casting and make small adjustments with the paddle when needed. I've thought about a small paddle but have decided it's just another piece of gear I don't want to mess with.
-Jameson

Last Edit: 10 months 5 days ago by IndianaYakFish.

Paddles-Preferences 10 months 4 days ago #7

• Apison, TN, USA
  • MontyMurdoch
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2015 YakAngler Supporter2016 YakAngler SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2014 YakAngler Supporter Presidents Day Boondoggle 2013Aficionado
I love my Bending Branches Angler Pro paddle. I have looked at the small paddle for adjustments, but as has been said, I decided against another piece of equipment.

Paddles-Preferences 1 month 6 days ago #8

• Thunder Bay, Ontario
  • Bluestew
  • 10+ Posts!
My yak is 34” wide with hi-lo seating. I seem to do fine with a 250cm paddle(low-angle).
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?