Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 1 year 5 months ago #1

• Tallahassee, FL
  • Safety Guy
  • 10+ Posts!
Anyone here have any experience with the new Kaku Wahoo? There's not much on it on the web with it being so new. I hope to try to demo one soon. I keep getting pulled back to the ride 115. Upgrading from a 12' Pescador which I feel I'm too heavy for at 250#. Any input would be helpful.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 1 year 5 months ago #2

• Long island ny
  • Dorfman17
  • 50+ Posts!
Don't know anything about the wahoo, but I did upgrade from the pescador to the ride 115x. I absolutely love the ride, very stable and the seat difference is night and day. I would try and find someplace that will let you demo them and see what you like. Good luck
Ws ride 115
The following user(s) said Thank You: Safety Guy

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 1 year 5 months ago #3

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I like the open deck design of the wahoo. That's the one thing about the ride 115 that I don't like, the big hatch right between your legs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bigjohn58, Safety Guy

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 1 year 5 months ago #4

• Williamsport, PA
  • bigjohn58
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalReviewer
That Wahoo looks a lot like a Predator MX. I agree with Spider1 that I did not like the hatch between my legs on the Ride 115. I hate useless small hatches that so many of these kayak have.

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 1 year 5 months ago #5

• Smyrna, TN and Panama City Beach, FL
  • MidTNJasonF
  • 50+ Posts!
I paddled a Wahoo at a demo day event. I am 6'3" and close 290 lbs. I enjoyed it. It felt like a very compact boat but I did not lack for room. The open deck in front of you was very nice and I did not feel cramped at all. The seat was good but I imagine it is not as comfortable as some of the top end seats for those longer paddles. For my short paddle it was very good.

There was low wind the day I paddled it but it seemed to track well. It was easy enough to paddle but I did not really paddle like I was going for any speed records. Just a hair slow to steer but that may have been perception as I just came off a yak with a rudder. I did not attempt to stand but I did toss my torso around leaning fairly far to the left and right. I tried to move my head beyond the edges of the side rails. It seemed very stable doing that and it did not ever upset the boat more than gentle rock. Turning to reach the back was not much of an issue either. I imagine I could throw both legs over the side of the kayak and put my feet in the water while keeping my butt in the chair easily.

What I noticed most was how easy it was to enter, exit, and launch. With the open deck and raised chair I found it remarkably easy to straddle and transition to sitting position. I normally like a lower seat position for my paddle stroke. I felt like I was stroking at to high an angle with the raised seat so I was getting some water in the lap at times. That is probably less boat and more me needing to adjust my stroke and positioning to the kayak or possibly paddle shaft length.

Overall I liked it and if I have room in the garage for a smaller boat I may think about adding one to my stable down the road. My 14 foot Commander 140 is not the easiest thing to load and unload for quick trips and small water.
Wilderness Systems Commander 140
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by MidTNJasonF.

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 1 year 5 months ago #6

• Tallahassee, FL
  • Safety Guy
  • 10+ Posts!
thanks for the info guys. Weather permitting I will be demo'ing the Wahoo this Saturday. I have cash in hand from the sale of the Pescador and will bring the Wahoo home if it lives up to the reviews I have read.

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 8 months 3 weeks ago #7

• Racerx
  • 50+ Posts!
This is one of the kayaks I'm contemplating purchasing. Safety Guy, did you ever buy the Wahoo? Why or why not? Not a lot of info and reviews on this kayak, yet quite intriguing.

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 3 weeks 6 days ago #8

Which kayak did you decide on?

Kaku Wahoo 12.5 vs Ride 115 3 weeks 6 days ago #9

• Racerx
  • 50+ Posts!
Well, I don't know about Safety Guy, but I ended up buying the Wahoo, and love it. It's really given me back the confidence that I lost with my old kayak, and then some. Very stable and dry. I love the open cockpit design. For someone with "restless legs" and a nagging hip, it's a must!
The following user(s) said Thank You: barcelonar
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?