Sun, Dec 21, 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #1

• gobluem
  • -10 Posts!
Hi all, looking to enter the world of yak fishing. Been doing it for years out of canoes and standard sit-in recreational yaks, but nothing fishing-specific

Some background on what I'm looking to do with my boat:

I live on Lake Michigan, so 50% of my fishing will probably be harbors and on the lake itself out to 2 or 3 miles, trolling for trout and salmon

25% of use would be for medium size rivers fishing for smallmouth and trout, and 25% on inland lakes for bass and pike.

I like standing up to fish on inland waters, and I do some fly fishing as well.

Depending on what I got, duck hunting might be in the picture too, but that's not really a primary decision point on what boat I get.

I've been looking hard at the Cuda and at the Nucanoe Frontier 12. Think both of those would handle Lake Michigan out to a few miles, in 1-2 foot waves? I will be demo'ing the Cuda 12 and 14 this weekend, but there's no Frontier dealers near me, so looking for any opinions I can get.

I know there's not one do-it-all boat, but I'd like something that can fish big water but is still decently maneuverable in a river with decent current and sinuosity

Thoughts? I appreciate it!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #2

• Fort Thomas, Kentucky, USA
  • Nubes
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
those are big choppy/windy waters and Id go for stability but that's just me. Nucanoe is what Id go with, might even consider Hobie??

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #3

• , ,
  • elhoward622
  • 500+ Posts!
  • AuthorPhotographerYakAngler Pro TeamDilettanteExpert YakAngler
You are asking a boat to do a whole lot and most boats are typically very good at a few things and just okay at others with tradeoffs for each area they excel in. I would say that as far as tradeoffs go, you can get by on small waters with a big water boat that is not made for the job with the worst case scenario being a boat that is hard to turn in the small waters or slightly tippy feeling and mainly just a nuisance. Going into big waters with a short, slow, wide boat is beyond a nuisance and can be downright deadly and get you killed. The inland lakes and small rivers can be done by just about any boat although some are much more effective than others. As far as duck hunting, you can probably get by in any kayak although the typical duck boats are really wide and stable.If you a going out in big water like the Great Lakes you want a boat like the Cuda to handle bigger water. The Cuda will be fine for standing up and fishing if you have fair balance and athletic ability, but requires some practice.

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #4

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalTravelerReviewerGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
Welcome to YakAngler! As stated already there are trade offs. If you are fishing Lake Michigan and lakes maybe the 14' would be better, however it would be trickier in faster moving rivers. I really like the cuda, but if that doesn't fit your needs, check out the Jackson Kilroy or a native slayer. I don't know much about the new canoes, except that they are extremely stable. Good luck with your search and please let us know what you end up getting.
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #5

• gobluem
  • -10 Posts!
Thanks for the replies so far. Like I originally said, I'm aware there's no do-it-all, jack of all trades boat. I definitely understand there are tradeoffs.

I have heard great things about the Cuda (I was thinking about the 12 foot as it would be a bit more agile if I took it on a medium size river), but I have a hard time finding folks who've paddled the Frontier 12.

I worry about the speed and tracking of the Frontier, since it is so wide and stable. And it doesn't have great storage like the Cudas do.

But on the flip side, the Frontier could seat 2 people and offers what seems to be top of the line stability. Just lookin for input from folks who've paddled them I guess.

I'm sure I'll take many pics and post about my adventures, seems like a great site

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #6

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalTravelerReviewerGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
I have paddled the cuda 12 and love it and am actually looking to purchase one soon. I used it on a decent size lake in Kentucky and it was great. I fish lake Winnebago, bigger lakes, rivers, and small creeks and am looking at the 12' because of its versatility and storage. Hopefully some more jackson and nucanoe folks will chime in. Good luck!
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #7

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • coachjoe
  • 800+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamExpert YakAngler
I have a Frontier 12 and a Frontier 10 - The 12 would do great on big water because of stability and actually tracks very well. Sent you a PM with a bunch of info. Feel free to ask any questions.
Team NuCanoe

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #8

• Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • DDOlson
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2014 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter PhotographerBoondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterReviewerGreen SkullSavant YakAngler
The Cuda is a very good kayak for the conditions of the Great Lakes; however my experience with the Cuda is that I have stood up in the kayak and even casted but have been a little worried about trying to stand and fly fish.

With that being said I would like to suggest the Frontier 12. No experience for me but a lot of research has me convinced that of the two that you are deciding on; I would recommend the NuCanoe Frontier 12.

I would like to suggest that you might consider the Big Tuna. This kayak is a tandem and a solo kayak. I have been using the Big Tuna for a few months now. I'm finding it a very stable kayak on calm days and in 30 knt winds and white caps.

You are doing it right by demo demo demo.

Jackson Cuda vs NuCanoe Frontier 1 year 6 months ago #9

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • AllWet
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter
I have a NuCanoe F12 and love it. It is a very versatile vessel. I think it will do more of what you want than the Cuda. The 3 mile trips would be an area where the Cuda would reign Supreme. You'll be surprised by the agility of the Frontier. It will spin on dime, yet the tracking will surprise you as well.

But I think you are asking a lot one boat. Maybe consider finding used versions of BOTH Boats? They both have new smaller versions of themselves. You should be able to find a couple of guys wanting to downsize and you could buy their older ones. Check out the Nucaone website. It has an owner's forum.
Rookie with the Reel and Keel
Moderators: smj190, Aggroman
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?