Kayak Specific Forum

TOPIC: FS128T

FS128T 1 year 5 months ago #1

• Glenmora, Louisiana, USA
  • Jugbutt
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter
what youll think of it seen some reports on it ?? :fishing:

Just a Louisiana boy looking for that BIG Bass!!

Wilderness Systems Commander 120
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Jugbutt.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FS128T 1 year 5 months ago #2

• Tidewater, Virginia, USA
  • standingyak
  • MOD Squad
  • Ambassador MedalBoondoggle Website Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter
Haven't heard anything.

[Mod Note: Topic Moved to Kayak Specific]
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by standingyak.

FS128T 1 year 5 months ago #3

• Manassas, Virginia, USA
  • FishAholic929
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter SeekerAdept YakAngler
Here's a BPS demo on youtube....
Jeff
Life's Short, Fish Hard
Orange OK Frenzy, Blue/Orange Malibu X-Factor, Urban Camo Old Town Predator 13
The following user(s) said Thank You: FLfishR

FS128T 1 year 5 months ago #4

• Wildwood, Missouri, USA
  • Plan B
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter Dilettante
I will have a review up after this weekend.
Eat what you catch, or starve like the rest! YARRRR!

Ascend FS12T
Jackson Kayak Cruise 12

FS128T 1 year 4 months ago #5

• Wildwood, Missouri, USA
  • Plan B
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter Dilettante
Let me first start by saying I thought you had a typo in this post by putting the 8 in the title.

My review will not be for this Kayak on the water. I don't have this one I have the FS12T.

Having said that, I saw one in the store for the first time today. I spent and hour breaking it down visually, so I will give you my thoughts on what I see after you take a look at this video that breaks it down a bit more from an owner.

I am kind of wowed and a bit perplexed by this boat. I had thought after getting my FS12T that I had something awesome. Don't get me wrong it's a great boat. When I finally got it, I started looking around for websites and found this one. Been here since February and have learned A LOT! Didn't know there was such a thing as a stand up Yak. When I found out I started re-engineering my boat in my head as to what I thought Ascend should do next. This is ALMOST EXACTLY what I came up with in my head.

Points in the video are pretty spot on. I noticed the same thing about the seat that bungie material just doesn't look like it will cut it.

He did not mention however that the seat is a multi-height position seat. High, Medium, and Low levels are available. I wasn't aware of the swivel seat but that is pretty phenomenal if you ask me. It looks very comfortable and doesn't look as though it will hold water.

The scupper holes are HUGE and are swooned out underneath making it possible to use them for the transducer for a fishfinder. There are also 8 two in front of your feet, two behind, two under the seat and two in the rear well. They are just a bit smaller that a golf ball and if necessary, you could possibly, put a rod end in one temporarily.

The deck is flat and seem to be coated with a grip type spray on material. It doesn't look very thick and looks to me as if was like a very fine sand paper. Only issue I see there is that it might get slick if you get it slimed by a catch. It is a large area though so those looking to land big fish would have no issues bring it aboard. You might even be able to put a small cooler in front of you if you wanted. The front circle hatch is small and I don't know of anything I could fit in there except a dry bag with a change of clothes possibly. The two hatches near the seat in front and back are twist lock hatches that could be waterproof, but they just go to the hollow hull which doesn't make any sense. Maybe a option to get liners or maybe modify liners. There is hardware for a stand up strap just before the cross bungie tie downs. The back well also has cross bungies.

The rod holders are as with any yak behind the seat on either side and the scotty mount is placed about mid thigh on the right side on the side wall. The other two are way up front and unless you're kneeling forward, you wouldn't be able to get to them (for me at least).

I like the flat side walls. Looks as though you could install the Yak Attack rails. The paddle clips I don't like at all. They lay down flat so this means you would most likely have to use two hands to clip the paddle in by holding it upright with one hand and the other hand with the paddle.

The hull is a W shape almost pontoon style where the middle and sides are low and an arc in between on either side. It does seem shallow enough though that it doesn't look as though you would get and slapping from waves unless they were rather big. The keel itself is not prominent through the middle 8 ft of the boat from what I could tell (didn't see it very well while it was vertical in the display) but does have a good wedge in the bow.

The stern is flat. Looks as thought a trolling motor or rudder could be an option here and it allows the boat to stand vertical.

The weight limit is only 350lb. I would expect this boat to be rated at 400 at least for it's size.
The cost is only $700 which was shocking to me.
I did not see the weight of the boat itself anywhere on it but I'm going to guess that it's abot 75lbs. Since that is what the FS12T weighs (I don't care what the web site says).

I'm going to say for a beginning boat for not a lot of money it might be OK but the Jackson Cruise 12 is only a bit more and you can customize it to your liking.

Hope that helps as far as aesthetics. NOTE I have not paddled or sat in this thing so I don't know about durability or material thickness.

I also asked the store if they did any demo days on it and they told me they do not do demo's for Kayaks at that location.

Good luck.
Eat what you catch, or starve like the rest! YARRRR!

Ascend FS12T
Jackson Kayak Cruise 12
The following user(s) said Thank You: KevMoore88, smj190, Jugbutt, Rollbar

FS128T 1 year 4 months ago #6

• Glenmora, Louisiana, USA
  • Jugbutt
  • 250+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter
Plan B wrote:
Let me first start by saying I thought you had a typo in this post by putting the 8 in the title.

My review will not be for this Kayak on the water. I don't have this one I have the FS12T.

Having said that, I saw one in the store for the first time today. I spent and hour breaking it down visually, so I will give you my thoughts on what I see after you take a look at this video that breaks it down a bit more from an owner.

I am kind of wowed and a bit perplexed by this boat. I had thought after getting my FS12T that I had something awesome. Don't get me wrong it's a great boat. When I finally got it, I started looking around for websites and found this one. Been here since February and have learned A LOT! Didn't know there was such a thing as a stand up Yak. When I found out I started re-engineering my boat in my head as to what I thought Ascend should do next. This is ALMOST EXACTLY what I came up with in my head.

Points in the video are pretty spot on. I noticed the same thing about the seat that bungie material just doesn't look like it will cut it.

He did not mention however that the seat is a multi-height position seat. High, Medium, and Low levels are available. I wasn't aware of the swivel seat but that is pretty phenomenal if you ask me. It looks very comfortable and doesn't look as though it will hold water.

The scupper holes are HUGE and are swooned out underneath making it possible to use them for the transducer for a fishfinder. There are also 8 two in front of your feet, two behind, two under the seat and two in the rear well. They are just a bit smaller that a golf ball and if necessary, you could possibly, put a rod end in one temporarily.

The deck is flat and seem to be coated with a grip type spray on material. It doesn't look very thick and looks to me as if was like a very fine sand paper. Only issue I see there is that it might get slick if you get it slimed by a catch. It is a large area though so those looking to land big fish would have no issues bring it aboard. You might even be able to put a small cooler in front of you if you wanted. The front circle hatch is small and I don't know of anything I could fit in there except a dry bag with a change of clothes possibly. The two hatches near the seat in front and back are twist lock hatches that could be waterproof, but they just go to the hollow hull which doesn't make any sense. Maybe a option to get liners or maybe modify liners. There is hardware for a stand up strap just before the cross bungie tie downs. The back well also has cross bungies.

The rod holders are as with any yak behind the seat on either side and the scotty mount is placed about mid thigh on the right side on the side wall. The other two are way up front and unless you're kneeling forward, you wouldn't be able to get to them (for me at least).

I like the flat side walls. Looks as though you could install the Yak Attack rails. The paddle clips I don't like at all. They lay down flat so this means you would most likely have to use two hands to clip the paddle in by holding it upright with one hand and the other hand with the paddle.

The hull is a W shape almost pontoon style where the middle and sides are low and an arc in between on either side. It does seem shallow enough though that it doesn't look as though you would get and slapping from waves unless they were rather big. The keel itself is not prominent through the middle 8 ft of the boat from what I could tell (didn't see it very well while it was vertical in the display) but does have a good wedge in the bow.

The stern is flat. Looks as thought a trolling motor or rudder could be an option here and it allows the boat to stand vertical.

The weight limit is only 350lb. I would expect this boat to be rated at 400 at least for it's size.
The cost is only $700 which was shocking to me.
I did not see the weight of the boat itself anywhere on it but I'm going to guess that it's abot 75lbs. Since that is what the FS12T weighs (I don't care what the web site says).

I'm going to say for a beginning boat for not a lot of money it might be OK but the Jackson Cruise 12 is only a bit more and you can customize it to your liking.

Hope that helps as far as aesthetics. NOTE I have not paddled or sat in this thing so I don't know about durability or material thickness.

I also asked the store if they did any demo days on it and they told me they do not do demo's for Kayaks at that location.

Good luck.

Plan B thanks alot for your time. I've been looking at the Perception sport 12, commander 120, and I will give the Jackson Cruise alook again thanks alot

Just a Louisiana boy looking for that BIG Bass!!

Wilderness Systems Commander 120

FS128T 1 year 4 months ago #7

• Benton City, WA
  • KevMoore88
  • 250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTraveler
I think this thing looks real good. Wish I had a extra $700 to throw at a kayak I dont need.
get the ball, dig a hole, get the ball, dig a hole...

FS128T 1 year 4 months ago #8

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerAficionadoGreen Skull
I added this to our reviews database if anyone has used it: www.yakangler.com/2013-ascend-fs128t
Moderators: smj190, Aggroman
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?