Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Sat, Sep 20, 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Kayak Specific Forum
  • Page:

TOPIC: Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed)

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #1

• Jacksonville, Florida, USA
  • RedFishJax
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPresidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter 2011 YakAngler SupporterPioneerDilettanteNovice YakAngler
I am in the market for a new kayak, and it's between the Native Slayer and the Jackson Cuda. I am looking at the 12 foot models of each. I have paddled both, but they were paddled at different times, and in different locations/bodies of water. I paddled the Slayer at the Boondoggle around thousand islands. I paddled the Cuda at the lake behind Black Creek Outfitters in Jacksonville. I haven't been able to paddle either in a creek or river with good tidal flow and/or current. I like both, and could see myself in either one. They both have there selling points for me. However, the one thing that I need an answer to is SPEED.
Has anyone paddled both of these, and can you say if one is faster than the other, or are they about the same. I'm looking to get one of these in the next 2 weeks, so hurry up with those answers! :cheer:
Jackson Cuda 14
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #2

• , ,
  • JellyJon
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter
the weights are very similar and the widths are very similar. The length of the Jackson is actually 12'6" vs the slayer at 12' exactly.

That being said I would assume the Jackson might have a tiny tiny edge on better tracking, however I would imagine both boats would paddle very similar.

Hopefully someone who has experience on both can chime in.

Going off the differences though I would think the big question would be if you want the big open deck or if you want to have the hatches to keep stuff in.
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by JellyJon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedFishJax, 59Bassman

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #3

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerAficionadoGreen Skull
I have paddled both, the Cuda felt slightly faster than the Slayer... Now when we had both the Cuda and Slayer out at the Boondoggle I never felt like Adam was faster in the Cuda than I was in the Slayer, but he does have shorter arms than me. :pinch:

What I think the Slayer has over the Cuda is the bow and stern handles are solid and padded much easier to handle. The Slayer has the wheel in the the keel which is much easier to handle by yourself. The Slayer's seat is much easier to move from the low and high positions while on the water. There are not straps to undo like on the Jacksons seats. The Slayer is more stable then the Cuda.

What I think the Cuda has over the Slayer. Hatches if you like them. The Slayers scupper holes can be a little loud when the water ripples are just right. I have not noticed any scupper slap with the Cuda. I thought the Cuda was a little bit faster than the Slayer, the bow doesn't push as much water.

If it were up to me I'd pick the Slayer, but they are both good boats.

And I am not sponsored by either manufacturer so there is no bias in my answers. :evil:
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by YakSushi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedFishJax, 59Bassman

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #4

• phenix city
  • FERAL ONE
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 20142014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013YakAngler Pro Team2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter 2011 YakAngler SupporterTravelerAficionado
so you are saying buy the slayer if you have girlie hands ? :lmao: i would have liked to have paddled one but mark wouldn't let me play in his !!!

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #5

• Louisville, Kentucky, USA
  • YakSushi
  • Administrator
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 Presidents Day Boondoggle 2012Presidents Day Boondoggle Jax 2011FoundersTrailblazerAficionadoGreen Skull
FERAL ONE wrote:
so you are saying buy the slayer if you have girlie hands ? :lmao: i would have liked to have paddled one but mark wouldn't let me play in his !!!

Well I do work on a computer all day so I won't claim to have the toughest hands out there. LOL you could have taken the Slayer out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jaxyaks

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #6

• walton, Kentucky, United States
  • inrll
  • 500+ Posts!
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Ambassador Medal
I paddled both in a pool. It was a small pool but in just a short distance I could feel a speed difference. For me the Cuda was a better tracking, faster boat. I love the little extra stability and open layout of the Slayer. It would make the perfect compliment to my Ultimate. With that being said I do A LOT of single access river trips, paddling against the current, so that little extra speed could make the difference in getting out and wading upstream (slow) or paddling through it and making it to my destination faster giving me more time to fish. So when I get my next yak it will likely be a Cuda.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 59Bassman

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #7

• phenix city
  • FERAL ONE
  • 500+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 20142014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle 2013YakAngler Pro Team2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter 2011 YakAngler SupporterTravelerAficionado
we'll do it when i come up to chase smallies ! they are cool boats and that is great that we have so many choices. RedFishJax, also consider the Jackson Cruise as an option, it handles a little differently than the Cuda and has a different deck layout. we love ours !

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #8

• Louisville, KY
  • Drewgill
  • 50+ Posts!
RedFishJax, I'm in the same boat as you (pun intended). I narrowed my choice to these two boats, but haven't been able to demo either.

I've been fishing mostly lakes lately, so I want a boat that is faster and handles wind better than my current boat.

All other attributes and features aside, most reviews concede that the Cuda is faster than the Slayer. Trusting these opinions, and the fact that a rudder is not available for the Slayer (at least at the moment), I took the leap and ordered a Cuda 12 last week. Hopefully I made a good decision...
Last Edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Drewgill.

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #9

• Jacksonville, Florida, USA
  • RedFishJax
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Presidents Day Boondoggle 2014Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalPresidents Day Boondoggle 20122012 YakAngler Supporter 2011 YakAngler SupporterPioneerDilettanteNovice YakAngler
Thanks for all the replies so far. I have looked at the Cruise, and the lack of hatches is the one thing I don't like about it. I don't mind the open hatch of the slayer, as I can see me using it for different things. I also like the hatches in the Cuda, especially the on in the center. It may come down to what I can get a better deal on...we'll see. I like both boats, and would be happy with either. Once I have made a final decision, and pick up the new kayak, I'll make sure to let everyone know what I got, and why I chose it. To be continued... :up:
Jackson Cuda 14
The following user(s) said Thank You: smj190, standingyak

Native Slayer vs. Jackson Cuda (Speed) 1 year 6 months ago #10

• Tallahassee, Florida, USA
  • Art E Fischal
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Novice YakAngler
I just went through this. I was able to test them both in a river.
Because you ask about speed I think the Cuda is hands down faster boat.

The thing that sold me was being able to access the inside of my boat with ease.

Both the native and the jackson are great. You really can't make a bad choice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedFishJax, Nubes
  • Page:
Moderators: smj190, Aggroman
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?