Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Saltwater Kayak Fishing

TOPIC: Saltwater fishing near LA

Saltwater fishing near LA 8 months 3 weeks ago #1

I moved from VT to CA a year ago, not having lakes and ponds so close to me and with the whole moving and finding a new job I didn't fish for an entire year. Finally things calmed down and I took my old field and stream fishing yak to the eastern sierras. Man I had so much fun, I decided to get back into it. I just sold my yak and bought myself a brand new ocean kayak prowler 13. I got sold for how versatile and light the kayak is, I am not really into the heavy and super rigged yaks.

Well I am really a bass fisherman, and that's all I know. So saltwater is a whole new to game, I don't even have saltwater fishing gear and don't even know where to start. I think before jumping into the ocean unprepared I would like to buy some equipment and fish a few times from shore or a pier, from there I would try calm ocean water near a bay. Can anyone point me in the right direction for gear and tips on how to take my yak to the saltwater? Also, is a fish finder strictly necessary?

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Saltwater fishing near LA 2 months 1 week ago #2

• San Diego, CA
  • KrakenMeUp
  • 10+ Posts!
Congrats on your move to L.A. I agree, starting in the bay is a good idea. If you're new to saltwater, there's no point trying to deal with the larger swells and harsher conditions that the ocean presents. I don't think a fish finder is crucial at all in the Southern California bays. The primary use of a fish finder will be for finding bait fish, and although it would be nice to know the temperature, depth, and bottom structure of the bay, fishing with live bait isn't necessary in the bays of Southern California. Depending on which bay you're in, it may be possible to buy live bait from a bait barge (San Diego Bay, Mission Bay), but it' really only necessary if you want to target Halibut.

I'd say crucial gear for bay fishing would be: a PFD, VHF Radio, Compass (in case of fog), and proper clothing for sun protection and staying dry/warm (think layering, but never cotton). Regarding lures, swimbaits and curly-tail grubs work great. Work the bottom for bass and halibut. It's difficult to provide further advice without knowing which bay you're in.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?