Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Saltwater Kayak Fishing

TOPIC: Kayak Length

Kayak Length 2 months 1 week ago #1

I'm a novice kayak angler looking to get started. I am looking to fish Long Island Sound and back bay NJ saltwater. I've been offered a good deal on a used Ocean Trident but it is only 11ft in length. Is the downside to the shorter kayak important enough to walk from the deal or would the 11ft suffice for a novice in water with current?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Kayak Length 2 months 1 week ago #2

• North Ft. Myers
  • sailor144
  • 10+ Posts!
I've been a Florida kayaker, but for me, I would want something that could track well, and cut through chop in your environment. I would look for something around 14', maybe with a rudder if possible. Tarpons/Jacksons, etc., are excellent for that type of water. I think the 11 footer will give you more problems than you want.

Kayak Length 2 months 6 days ago #3

• perchjerker
  • 50+ Posts!
Safety is always your first consideration. Short narrow yaks flip easily. If a guy can flip a Hobie PA, you sure can the type you are talking about. Before you venture offshore, I recommend you become familiar with kayaking first. Maybe some inshore fishing. Don't get in a rush. Get it rigged properly. In current it's important to know how to safely anchor and deal with wakes from boats and larger. Get a PFD that is comfortable and wear it 100% of the time.
Try to find a buddy to yak with. In this case, there is safety in numbers. Stay safe
2016 Native Slayer Propel 13 in Lizard Lick color.

Kayak Length 2 weeks 1 day ago #4

• 1027 Gladwell Street Dallas, TX 75204
  • kathy10
  • -10 Posts!
longer the faster and better tracking (keeping straight versus swaying with your paddle strokes) the shorter usually the slower and worse it tracks. The longer yaks are for big water and having to paddle distances to your fishing spot. Smaller yaks are for yaking out baits and whitewater rivers. So to maximize your fishing the longer and thinner the yak the quicker and suppress it will travel making your paddle strokes count. I'm 6'4" and 220lbs and went with the ride 135 and its around 13.5 feet long and 33 inches wide so it tracks well but better as it has a rudder but the width slows it down but is able to hold myself and all my gear and still take on waves and not sit low in the water. Try not to go to cheap when your life depends on it so keep in mind if you do get one that's feature and well known you will be able to get your money back out of it when and if you decide you don't want to do it any longer via craigslist. If you get some cheapo and not well-known brand it will be hard to get your money back and you will curse yourself when you're out in it and a storm comes to a rolling in!!. For long distances from the boat ramp, an 8 or 10-foot yak will have you tiring out before you get to your spot then identify you still have to paddle back. Good luck!
kathy
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?