Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Saltwater Kayak Fishing

TOPIC: OBX bound

OBX bound 5 months 23 hours ago #1

• Yakatak
  • -10 Posts!
Hi all! We are heading to the OBX end of June. Staying in Southern Shores. I'm planning on taking the yaks out around the bridge near there. Do any of you have any input on the best place to put in there? I'll have my 11yr old son with me so don't want him to have to paddle his rear off to get there.
Also, we're new to fishing the sound, so any and all recommendations as far as places to go, what to fish for, tips, do's/dont's will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:OBX bound 5 months 14 hours ago #2

• North Central West Virgina
  • fishermanbt
  • 50+ Posts!
I'll be down near Manteo in June. I have fished the bridge near Whalebone Junction in Roanoke Sound for the past several years. Big learning curve for a backwoods WV hillbilly that chases smallmouth and musky. Gulp shrimp, minnows, and blood worms work well but I did great on regular plastic grubs and minnows that I made last year. Remember to wash your gear off after fishing and do not put used hooks/jigs back your tackle box. Keep used ones in their own separate container. I just use my bass rods with braided line and a floro leader.

Visit several different shops early morning if possible and get a conversation started. Buy a candy bar or a drink and browse. I have found them all to be very helpful with advice on how and where to fish. Most shops likeTW's Tackle even keep a daily board of info up front of what is being caught and on what bait.

Read the NC regulations so as to stay compliant. Their website is ok but you have to dig a little. When in doubt call them. They were great to answer a few of my questions regarding yak regulations. I even get my license online there now. Use to go to Walmart but online is much easier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yakatak

OBX bound 5 months 14 hours ago #3

• Bridgeport, West Virginia, USA
  • Troutbum
  • 50+ Posts!
Looks like OBX is going to be busy with kayakers!
I'm also going to be there near the end of June.

We are staying at Frisco Woods Campground.

It's been many years since I fished the salt and that was on the Gulf coast of Florida.

Looking forward to it!

Denny, aka Troutbum
Future Beach 126 (now sold, but a great starter kayak)

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100

FeelFree Lure 10

FeelFree Moken 10 Standard (now gone and replaced with a Native Slayer 10 Propel)

Wilderness Systems Aspire 105

OBX bound 4 months 1 week ago #4

• Midlothian VA
  • Chipper78
  • -10 Posts!
I'm also going to be at the Frisco woods campground in June. We will be the Father's Day weekend. Plan on fishing the sound and possibly the outskirts of diamond shoals. From all I've read it looks like it could be a really good trip if I can get bait/presentation dialed in.

Re:OBX bound 1 month 3 days ago #5

• lbostons
  • -10 Posts!
Well how was the fishing in June? Can we get an update on how you all did? The good, the bad, the ugly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Re:OBX bound 4 weeks 2 days ago #6

• Bridgeport, West Virginia, USA
  • Troutbum
  • 50+ Posts!
Didn't spend a lot of time fishing. My goal was to simply catch a few fish, whatever species, just to say that I did.
The week we were there was when TS Cindy was in the Gulf and it made the Atlantic coast side pretty rough.
We kayaked around the sound some but I wasn't having much luck except for Pinfish.

The guys at Frisco Rod and Gun told me that I needed to find water 10 feet deep or more.
I found a public access about 2-1/2 miles south of the campground. With the wind in my favor, I could put in there, paddle about a quarter mile out and let the wind push me back to the campground.
Managed to catch a couple of Speckled Trout and one small puppy drum. The Pinfish and Pigfish were still there and even those were fun to catch.
Left home without my fly rod so I used my bass gear with Gulp shrimp and some grubs that I had with me.

I can't wait to go back to this small slice of Paradise.

Denny, Troutbum
Future Beach 126 (now sold, but a great starter kayak)

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100

FeelFree Lure 10

FeelFree Moken 10 Standard (now gone and replaced with a Native Slayer 10 Propel)

Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?