Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Saltwater Kayak Fishing

TOPIC: Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #1

• Altamonte Springs, Fl
  • Devodud
  • -10 Posts!
I have never posted a fishing report here and quite frankly I have not spent much time on this site, but I am going to change that. I have grown to like this site and will be spending more time browsing and posting. Here is the first trip report I am posting on this forum

Two friends and I headed down to Pompano Beach on Tuesday in search of some fishing action. When we arrived we were unable to find any pilchards at the bait shops and had to settle for just 3 or 4 goggle eyes each to last all day. At the launch we found seas that were not good but not bad either. Not long into our troll out to deep water one friend doubled up on a couple cero mackerel, but one manages to get off. He brings the landed mack over and puts it into my fish bag. In about 140 feet of water we start to see weed mats. Under one of the weed mats I see some commotion and go for a closer look. The commotion ended up being a couple dozen small trigger fish, but under them were 2 schoolie sized mahi, we couldn't get them to bite before they left. I spot some birds diving in the distance at around 180 feet, we started heading towards them. The birds left before we could even get close but we kept toward the general area anyway. When we get there the same friend's trolled rat-l-trap got nailed and his line started leaving his reel in a hurry. I turned around to watch and was just in time to see a large black fin tuna blow a huge hole in the ocean and inhale my goggle eye, the fight was on. I got my fish close to the boat, close enough to see him, and he mad a super high speed run straight down. My drag couldn't keep up and he straightened out both hooks on my stinger rig. I paddled over to help my friend with his fish, his wasn't even close to the boat yet. As he started getting the fish close to the boat we could tell he had a nice tuna on as well, we could also tell he was in trouble. The tuna was swimming in circles, tangled in his second line. The more the fish circled, the worse the tangle got. Eventually the fish took off on a run and the line could do nothing but break. Before he had a chance to feel down about the lost fish his second rod, the goggle eye, gets hammered. The lines are still tangled at this point so the 50 pound line just snapped like its was nothing. Seeing this I quickly re-rigged and sent a another goggle-eye down, it got smashed within 20 ft of the boat. The hooks did not stick very good and quickly pulled. I sent another goggle-eye out only to see it get sliced in half by a king in a matter of less than 10 seconds, he missed the hook. I set-up a rig with 2 stinger hooks, leaving hooks from head to tail of my last goggle-eye, and sent him down. I didn't even get the rod into the rod holder and my last live bait got annihilated by another king, somehow the fish still missed the hooks :angry: . Both friends had similar experiences with their live baits.

With no other choice we started trolling with artificial plugs and spoons until we reached the wrecks to start jigging. Several large bonita were caught on the arti's. We got to the wrecks and we couldn't buy a bight on jigs. I can only suspect that because the current was non existent the fish weren't hanging on the wrecks. So we started trolling again, and again we were catching large bonitas. At on point I got a huge hit on a deep diving plug, the line was violently snapped before the fish even completed its first screaming run.

Now for the fun part. We found a beautiful defined color change with a tone of floating weeds. As we fished this text book spot we continued to catch bonita and watch flying fish jumping all over. Suede casted out a shallow diving plug on his inshore spinning rod rod, only to watch the lure get smashed and all of the line disappear from his reel, in seconds. Just a few minutes after that I hear one friend yelling for the other to look behind him. When I looked I saw about a 10 foot hammerhead shark following second friend. About the time he realized what was behind him the shark surged forward, raised his head from the water and wrapped his mouth around the back of his kayak. I guess the shark had developed a taste for Pelican. My friend was not having any of that and like a samurai warrior began his counter attack with his paddle :ninja: . The shark let go and came around for a second run. The shark pulled along side of him and began rubbing on the side of the kayak, he struck again with several precise blows. The shark tried this a couple more times, with the same result. The shark decided that he did not like getting wacked on the head with a paddle and stopped. The shark hung around and followed Suede for a few more minutes before giving up. At this point Suede was ready to hit dry land, so we headed for the beach.

Below I have attached the video from the shark encounter and a couple pictures. I did not get the entire shark encounter on video because it happened so fast, but I got some.

VIDEO

The Cero Mack

The Tuna Hooks

The Shark Bite Marks

The Shark!!

"If you're gunna be stupid, you gotta be tough!"
Last Edit: 1 year 3 weeks ago by YakSushi.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: YakSushi, Westwindmike, standingyak, wildrover, viper22, TightLines89

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #2

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalTravelerReviewerGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
WOW! Now that is the way to make a first post! Good pictures and video. Glad everyone was safe and ad some good catches. Welcome to YakAngler Devodud!
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #3

• Lakeshore, Other, Canada
  • Pikecreek
  • 500+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Pro Team2012 YakAngler Supporter 2013 YakAngler Supporter ExplorerAficionadoGreen SkullMaster YakAngler
awesome post!

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #4

• Monson, Massachusetts
  • viper22
  • 10+ Posts!
  • 2013 YakAngler Supporter
Crazy!!!

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #5

• jhef
  • -10 Posts!
i been thinking about how much fun it could be to kayak fish out in saltwater, but dang you had to go and put a video of a freaking hammerhead on here..that had to increase the pucker factor by 200% great video..now tell your buddy he needs his life vest on...

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #6

• Amelia Va., ,
  • newyakker
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTraveler
Great first post and good story. Did your friend have to change his shorts. lol
2012 Blue Coosa

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #7

• Tidewater, Virginia, USA
  • standingyak
  • MOD Squad
  • Ambassador MedalBoondoggle Website Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter 2012 YakAngler Supporter
:woohoo: Glad y'all are OK!
Excellent story and media. :bravo:

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #8

• , ,
  • elhoward622
  • 500+ Posts!
  • AuthorPhotographerYakAngler Pro TeamDilettanteExpert YakAngler
Thats is wild! :rock:

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #9

• North Charleston, South Carolina, USA
  • elgeebee
  • 800+ Posts!
  • YakAngler Pro TeamColumbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132011 YakAngler Supporter2013 YakAngler Supporter 2010 YakAngler SupporterColumbus Day Boondoggle 2012 2012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2011TravelerReviewerAdept YakAngler
Holy crap! What an experience...

Welcome to YakAngler :cheer: :welcome: That is one-heck of a first post...

Hammerhead Shark Attacks Kayaker While Fishing 1 year 1 month ago #10

• Manassas, Virginia, USA
  • FishAholic929
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter SeekerAdept YakAngler
:welcome: :fishing: :ninja: :daman:

Wow....good stuff, not quite what my wife should be seeing over my shoulder before I head out :)
Jeff
Life's Short, Fish Hard
Orange OK Frenzy, Blue/Orange Malibu X-Factor, Urban Camo Old Town Predator 13
Moderators: smj190, Aggroman
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?