Sat, Oct 25, 2014
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Saltwater Kayak Fishing

TOPIC: New York Stripers

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #1

• hard_hooker
  • -10 Posts!
Fished with my 16 y/o son this weekend. Both new to the scene. Fished off Oyster Bay Saturday and Little Neck bay (Fort Totten) today. Didn't catch anything however great day on the water with my son.

Lots of boats out today. We fished all the structure we could find. I way using a bucktail tipped with uncle josh pork rind and my son was using a 5.5" bomber. Heard good reports and was hoping for some action but all is good.

I did have a few questions as a new guy here...

1 - We didn't invest into a real expensive kayaks ...yet. My son fishes a Eagle Talon 12 and I have a Potomac tidewater 100. They will do fro now. My sons dry well had water in it....do you know where that would come from? (His phone took on some salt water...his water proof case was in his tackle box...)

2 - How do you gauge speed with out a fishfinder/GPS? I was trolling Saturday with a tube tipped with sandworm. I'm trying to gauge how deep the rig is going but having a hard time on how fast I should be rowing.

3 - Just ordered our YakAngler flags. What's the best way to attach them?

Looking forward to getting involved. Come from a freshwater background and can't wait to hit the local lakes! Any Long Islanders here? Would love to hook up.

Tom
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #2

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • AuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter Ambassador MedalTravelerReviewerGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
Glad you go out with your son, even if you didn't catch anything. Sorry I can't help you with any of your questions. But there is another thread of attaching the flag. Hope you get the answers you need.
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #3

• Rindge, New Hampshire, USA
  • Hammerhead
  • 2K+ Posts!
  • 2014 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterPresidents Day Boondoggle 20132013 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2012 2012 YakAngler Supporter Columbus Day Boondoggle 2011YakAngler Pro TeamAuthorPresidents Day Boondoggle Jax 20112010 YakAngler Supporter2011 YakAngler SupporterSeekerDilettanteGreen SkullCrack YakAngler
Tom, good to see you got out, I'm looking forward to being down there in a few weeks. Here are some answers to your questions.

1) Kayaks get water in them, it's a fact of life. Stuff you don't want to get wet should go into a dry box. As long as it wasn't more than a few cups your fine.

2) You really can't gauge your speed without a gps, the good news is trolling the tube and worm you have to work hard to go too fast. I know a lot of guys get real specific about speed but they are over-complicating it. As long as you are paddling at a comfortable pace if your not fighting wind or current, you are good. It is really a feel thing.

I normally drop mine back 20-30 pulls of the line if I'm in under 10' of water, normally until it comes starts to contact the bottom. Then I paddle slightly faster to get it off the bottom. If it is over 10' I let out more line or add a keel weight. As I paddle along if it gets shallower I speed up or if I go over a hole I slow down to get it deeper.

My tube of choice is a 24" Butchie Built

3)I saw you found the flag thread so you've seen how I do mine.

I'll be in J-bay in 3 weeks if your around.
My Blog:YakFish.Net
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by Hammerhead.

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #4

• Amelia Va., ,
  • newyakker
  • 800+ Posts!
  • Ambassador MedalTraveler
Your lures bait were fine. As far as depth when in doubt let out some more line. I use to troll around City island from a rowboaat. I used the willow spinners in front of a sandworm . All this behind an inline sinker 2-4 oz. I also used a pink lady planner with a rebel or smaller tube. Pikies work well by themselves. The first blackfish should have been coming into Oyster Bay this weeknd. Anchor if conditions permit and use fiddlers or clams for bait over rocks or clam beds.
2012 Blue Coosa

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #5

• Manassas, Virginia, USA
  • FishAholic929
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2013Boondoggle Website SupporterAmbassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter SeekerAdept YakAngler
Hammerhead wrote:
1) Kayaks get water in them, it's a fact of life. Stuff you don't want to get wet should go into a dry box. As long as it wasn't more than a few cups your fine.

I double up on the protection there with my wallet and cellphone. I put that stuff in a zip-loc bag inside my dry box. I have twin 3 year old boys and I never know when I'm going to be needed, so if I know my wife is potentially unreachable while I'm on the water, I will take my blue tooth with me so I never have to pull the phone out of the box to answer a call (and I still hear it). As far as fishing your area goes...I wish I could help, but I've never fished up there. Good luck!!
Jeff
Life's Short, Fish Hard
Orange OK Frenzy, Blue/Orange Malibu X-Factor, Urban Camo Old Town Predator 13

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #6

• Long Island, New York, USA
  • leadhead
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter
The only experience I have up in Oyster Bay is from a boat. Work the shore by West Shore Rd. Cast your bucktails to the shallow water and let the bucktail swim near the bottom as the water gets deeper. Troll your tubes around and under the Bayville Bridge. Cast around Jacobson's Pier which is near the Town park and Maritime Center. Enjoy Oyster Bay Harbor, It's a beautiful body of water.
Hobie Revolution 11
Last Edit: 1 year 5 months ago by leadhead. Reason: add content

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #7

• hard_hooker
  • -10 Posts!
Thanks ! We fish the pier often. Nice spot for some quick catch/release porgy action. Now that we have the Yaks we can hit the other spots you mentioned.

We did exactly what you described...tides weren't the best (last of the ebb) and the wind was up. Plus I think it's a week or 2 early for deep in the bay yet. Will give it another shot next weekend. At least I know we're headed in the right direction. have to admit...fishing off the kayak is whole new ballgame. Loving it.

Do you fish the Island? Looking to fit the fresh water scene and was thinking Ronkonkama for some bass/walleye.

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #8

• hard_hooker
  • -10 Posts!
Are you fishing that tourney in J-bay?
I may head out that way for some early season Fluke

I figured it's more of a feel thing when trolling. Going to give it another shot this weekend with the better tides.

New York Stripers 1 year 5 months ago #9

• Long Island, New York, USA
  • leadhead
  • 50+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal2013 YakAngler Supporter
hard_hooker wrote:
Thanks ! We fish the pier often. Nice spot for some quick catch/release porgy action. Now that we have the Yaks we can hit the other spots you mentioned.

We did exactly what you described...tides weren't the best (last of the ebb) and the wind was up. Plus I think it's a week or 2 early for deep in the bay yet. Will give it another shot next weekend. At least I know we're headed in the right direction. have to admit...fishing off the kayak is whole new ballgame. Loving it.

Do you fish the Island? Looking to fit the fresh water scene and was thinking Ronkonkama for some bass/walleye.

I fish the Island by boat in the spring & summer. I kayak fish SW Florida in the fall & winter. I haven't fished Lake Ronkonkama in 30 years. I hear there is a good walleye fishery there now.
Hobie Revolution 11
Moderators: smj190, Aggroman
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?