Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Freshwater Kayak Fishing

TOPIC: Can someone help me with dry suit info

Can someone help me with dry suit info 4 months 4 weeks ago #1

• Scorpono
  • -10 Posts!
I'm currently 16 and I want to start fishing with my dad but I've always like the idea of going canoeing but I am now old enough where I want to go kayaking. Unfortunately in 2015 I was diagnosed with Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension which is a heart and lung disease that effects my breathing. I have had a surgery that basically put a tube in my chest. Connected to the tube is a small pump that hooks onto my belt and cannot get wet. Now in the event of flipping a kayak I would need to be rushed home immediately and I would have to take a shower and clean the insertion site which could possibly be compromised and I would have to go down state to a hospital. The only reason for all of this is because water holds bacteria which could follow the tube which goes directly into my heart. Now I have seen dry suits on the internet but are there any dry suits that aren't meant for cold water. I want something that has short sleeves and short legs (I don't know how you would word that). Due to my disease I get overheated easily so the sun will kill me as it is. So I don't know if this is the right place to ask this but I hope that you can help me.

-Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can someone help me with dry suit info 4 months 4 weeks ago #2

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
I'm not the right guy to answer your question but I'll try to help until one of the other guys pipe in.

Dry suits don't tend to be short sleeve and short pants. Those things are actually wet suits and are made to allow water near your skin. The water then warms from body temperature and keeps a diver warm. Dry suits are long sleeved and pants with latex cuffs around all openings. They are made to keep water out. I've never worn one so I can't say how over heated you might get wearing one but some guys like to wear them when they go into deeper water but usually when they do rivers with rapids. Some are made to be totally waterproof yet breathable. The ones made for kayaking might be just what you need.

Good luck, and I hope you stick around cuz I can't wait to read about some of your adventures!

Welcome Aboard! :welcome:
Last Edit: 4 months 4 weeks ago by Spider1.

Re:Can someone help me with dry suit info 4 months 4 weeks ago #3

• Neenah, Wisconsin, USA
  • smj190
  • MOD Squad
  • Columbus Day Boondoggle 2015 YakAngler Pro Team2015 YakAngler SupporterAuthorColumbus Day Boondoggle 20132014 YakAngler Supporter Boondoggle Website SupporterYakAngler Mod2013 YakAngler Supporter TravelerAficionadoGreen SkullNovice YakAngler
I have not heard of any short sleeve or shorts style dry suit as that goes against what they are designed for. However I have seen a short sleeved and shirt style wet suits. Although, that won’t help you out in your case. One thought was they do make dry tops and bottoms. Maybe you can get one of them and make it work for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tight Lines and Smooth Paddling!

Can someone help me with dry suit info 4 months 4 weeks ago #4

• NW Ohio
  • Fisheyes
  • 10+ Posts!
This is a great question for your medical team who put in your chest tube and pump.

I know there is a sticky gel bandage that will seal off your tube where it comes out of your chest. you will have to seal your pump with a double Ziploc baggy. You will still need to sanitize the tube when done, but this will seal off bacteria and water from getting to the incision. This should let you wear anything you want according to weather.
Good luck

Can someone help me with dry suit info 4 months 3 weeks ago #5

• Scorpono
  • -10 Posts!
So I have a question about dry suits. I live in Michigan and it is pretty cold here right now. If I were to get a dry suit that isn't fancy or anything like that will it get hot? I mean I just don't want to overheat while I'm down a river. Also if I were to just tie up my kayak to a tree and jump in would the dry suit allow me to cool down in the water? Thank you for helping me

Can someone help me with dry suit info 4 months 3 weeks ago #6

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
here's the thing. There are a bunch of different types of dry suits for a bunch of different types of situations and uses. You can get a heavy divers dry suit. Very expensive and has a lot of insulation to protect a diver from extreme temps. You have lighter dry suits for extreme conditions for extreme sportsmen and you have lighter suits for say, kayak fishermen that don't want to get too wet. That's pretty much what you are looking for. I don't know your condition, but I don't think the will be too much trouble, some even unzip in front so you could always paddle to shore, climb out and unzip to cool off if needs be. But, some dry suit materials are made to "breath". The material (like gore-tex) lets moisture(sweat) out but doesn't let water in. You stay cool, comfortable and dry.

Go here and read this. Check out the suits also.

www.kayakacademy.com/pages/dry-suit-faq-frequently-asked-questions-about-drysuits

Can someone help me with dry suit info 4 months 1 week ago #7

• NE Pennsylvania
  • Spider1
  • 1250+ Posts!
  • Ambassador Medal
Hey guys, I just figured I would update with a little info I just found. They do indeed make short sleeve dry tops. I was just over at ack checking out sales and they had 2 different short sleeve dry tops on sale! They aren't heavy duty and are basically discribed as splash tops... But they do got em.

Can someone help me with dry suit info 4 months 1 week ago #8

• Smithtown NY
  • rick67
  • 10+ Posts!
I use a dry suit and semi dry also. Going by what you described you fall in dry suit. Meaning can't get wet.
The top you may have seen on ack may have latex on arms and neck but you'll need on legs too. They use neoprene and cinch straps on the shirts at waist to be used in sync with semi dry pants.
My first call if I was in your position would be to call Mythic Drysuits in Maine. There the most affordable then Kokotat and others youll find online to ask to have one made to your specs.
The zipper to get in runs from shoulder to hip so you'll be able to unzip it to breath a bit. My only suggestion is you ask for a relief zipper if you do buy one. Peeing is a chore otherwise.
KFA-NY
TEAM FISHING LAB
Yellow Eyed Devils
Yack Pack
Find this topic helpful? Why not share it with other kayak anglers?