Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Mon, Nov 24, 2014

Review Detail

Ascend "D10T"
Fishing Kayak Reviews
April 23, 2013    
The Ascend D10T sit-on kayak is a good entry level kayak. It's 10' length makes it easy to transport. It's not fast but is easy to paddle and tracks fairly well. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs. A little bit tall for the foot rest. Someone a little shorter would fit better. The factory seat sits flat on the floor right over the scupper holes. Your backside will get wet. With the raised seat I put in it, stability was still very good. I have not tried standing in it. It handles large boat wakes with ease. I have yet to have one come over the bow. With all the open storage areas, I don't feel crowded by the fishing gear I take on it. It handles pretty good in the wind. Sitting still, it has a tendency for the stern to move downwind. But if you are moving any at all it stays on course. For the price of $399.99 I feel like it is a good value for your money.
Overall rating 

Speed 

Stability 

Durability 

Features 

Value 

Edward Lay Reviewed by Edward Lay July 22, 2013
Top 500 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (1)

ASCEND D10T

The Ascend D10T sit-on kayak is a good entry level kayak. It's 10' length makes it easy to transport. It's not fast but is easy to paddle and tracks fairly well. I'm 6'3" and 250 lbs. A little bit tall for the foot rest. Someone a little shorter would fit better. The factory seat sits flat on the floor right over the scupper holes. Your backside will get wet. With the raised seat I put in it, stability was still very good. I have not tried standing in it. It handles large boat wakes with ease. I have yet to have one come over the bow. With all the open storage areas, I don't feel crowded by the fishing gear I take on it. It handles pretty good in the wind. Sitting still, it has a tendency for the stern to move downwind. But if you are moving any at all it stays on course. For the price of $399.99 I feel like it is a good value for your money.

Pros & Cons

Pros:
Price, transportability, various storage areas
Cons:
Factory seat, can't access inside hull
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

3 results - showing 1 - 3

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account
Dennis Written by Dennis
July 26, 2013
What seat did you upgrade to? I too have this kayak and a high seat would be ideal. Thanks!
Dennis Written by Dennis
July 26, 2013
What seat did you upgrade to? I too have this kayak and a high seat would be ideal. Thanks!
In reply to an earlier comment

Edward Lay Written by Edward Lay
August 30, 2013
Bearded Hooker, Sorry for the late reply. I just found your post.
I put a plastic boat seat in it from Wal-Mart. I zip tied a piece of 3" PVC pipe across the front bottom the same width as the seat. On the rear bottom I zip tied a 24" piece of 2" PVC. The 24" PVC sits perfectly in the openings on the sides that go into the storage areas. It has me sitting a few inches forward of where the factory seat would be, but it balances the yak out better.
However, after about 30 trips out in it, it is now starting to get small cracks around the scupper holes. I'm not happy about that, but have closed them up with a heat gun.
3 results - showing 1 - 3