Kayak Fishing Ultimate Resource

Tuesday, 22 February 2011 19:06

February Fishing with Family and Friends

Written by
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

I went fishing this past weekend with my younger brother and my brother-in-law.   Normally I would be loading up the kayaks and gear but being that neither of these guys are very experienced anglers I thought it best we just go to a local lake in Crestwood, KY.   

I have fished this lake a couple of times before with some success mainly using soft plastics.   I knew that this lake had some decent sized fish in it as I’ve caught some okay bass and very good-sized bluegill (which is still currently the largest fish that I have ever caught on fly).  

billyWe started off fishing 5 – 7inch worms Texas rigged.   For the last several months the weather had been cold but over the last few days the temps had risen to 50 – 60 degrees.   I had assumed that fish would be on the move up the warm column a bit but honestly thought that they would still be holding closer to the bottom and not very active.

After working a 7” inch powerbait worm (motor oil, of course) along the entire length of the bank with no luck, not even a nibble I came back to the tackle box and told the guys that I thought we should switch it up.   On Billy’s (my brother-in-law) line I tied a Bomber 4A in Foxy Shad and on Cameron’s (my brother) I tied a Rapala Shad Rap in Silver.  I started to tie on myself a Strike King Square Bill in Sexy Shad but before I could even finish the knot Billy hooked up.    


It was a Quick fight and Billy landed a 3/4lb Crappie.  I didn’t even know that there were crappies in this lake.  I helped him remove the treble hooks and went back to tying on my lure when Cameron hooked up.  He landed a 2lb or so Large Mouth.  I just thought “man I need to get my line in the water”.   I managed a couple of cast with no luck and BAM, Billy’s got another one hooked up.  

Once again I helped him remove the treble hooks and before I could even pick up my rod again Cameron had another one.  This is getting ridiculous!  Helped Cameron, made a few more cast myself and still nothing for me!  I went back to the tackle box to tie on another lure and sure enough as soon as I started tying, Billy hooked up again.  Once again, helped him and this time I tied on a Rattlin Rapala in Shad.  Literally two casts and I’m hooked up.  I had a small 3/4lb or so bass.  Cameron and Billy may have caught one or two smaller bass.  

camI had tied on a Bomber 2A in Baby Bass on another rod and threw that a few times.  WHAM!  Something nailed it!  Fairly quick fight and I landed a short chunker.  She was probably 3 – 3.5 lbs.  The crank bait was deep in her mouth and it took me a few minutes to get it out.   I didn’t want to harm the fish so instead of posing for a picture I just threw it back, go ahead let the comments fly.

We wrapped up soon after and called it a day.

I decided to go back the following day with another friend; lets just refer to him as “Worm Addict”.  Worm Addict talked a ton of crap about who was going to catch the first fish and how his Powerbait 7” worm (motor oil, of course) was gonna “just tear’em up”.  

I threw the Rattlin Rapala while he tied on a worm.  Second cast and I’m hooked up, it was a small bass and it made a last second jump close to the bank, which shook off my lure.  “Doesn’t count”, says Worm Addict.  “Okay, okay” I said as I cast back into the same spot.  A couple of more cast and BAM, I’m hooked up again!  This time it’s a solid 3lb bass.  Worm Addict is beside himself and ties on the same lure only one size bigger.  He had no luck and kept coming up with a lure full of moss.  

“Okay”, I said, “to keep things even, I’ll tie on the same size lure”.  Only my larger lure was a give away item that I had gotten from WFN.  It literally said in big bold black letters on the side of the lure “WFN World Fishing Network”.   I made a few cast and yet another hookup.  Worm Addict was just beside himself.  You could tell that he had been defeated.


We fished for another hour of so switching baits just to see what they would hit; nothing else produced the same types of results.   The Bass were definitely aggressive hitting in 3-5’ of water and within 10-15’ of the bank.  It was a great weekend of fishing with family and friends.  I wish that I had the kayaks out since the weather was so nice but in the end, it was just fun fishing, and that’s what its all about.

Read 6285 times Last modified on Tuesday, 22 February 2011 19:37
adam hayes

About the Author: Adam Hayes is an avid kayak angler and the Co. Founder of YakAngler.com. He enjoys spending time on the water with his friends and family and really just about anything than involves growing the sport of kayak fishing.


More in this category: « A Return to the Water Trick My Yak »


# Sam 2011-03-01 15:46
I enjoyed your story. I was curious though on how all the fish were male until you spoke of a fish with a lure deep in it's throat and suddenly BAM, you have a female fish. :D It was a good read!

Please login to post a comment.

Get the YakAngler Newsletter!

Keep tabs on all the latest from YakAngler.

Latest From The Forum

  • No posts to display.